My Husky is killing my chickens and ducks, I need help!

Pics
Oh, and we tried the dead-chicken-around-the-neck thing. For our husky, this was an incredible puzzle, just a marvelous game. He's never been so entertained, locked in his kennel with a dead chicken just out of reach. He only cried when we finally took it off of him.

Your dog will never be safe with these birds!!! Set up safe bird housing, and a safe yard for your dog, and every future dog, and give up on 'trusting' this dog to change.
Mary
I agree with this. After speaking to my neighbor whose husky escaped and killed his chickens and 3 of mine, the training only lasts so long before the carnage starts again. His dog will climb over or dig under everything he's tried. He's currently electrifying the fence. If the dog can't get to the fence he can't go over or under it. I live over a mile from this neighbor. You should consider what you would do if your dog got out and killed your neighbors pets.

Some dogs, and we've had two like this, are so driven that nothing except physical separation works. And huskies and malamutes are some of the most driven ever. Our current chicken killing dog is a formerly abuse case from a dog fighting situation, and while she listens to me, is otherwise totally into killing chickens if they are accessible.
Mary

We have a five foot high 2"x 4" woven wire fence, with five foot high chainlink gates, electric tape on top, and Invisible Fence 3' inside this physical barrier. The collars are set on maximum, and she respects this. When the IF 'motherboard' died she figured out that the collar was dead, dug under the fence, and killed over twenty nice birds, in a very short time. It was awful! The IF company replaced everything, no charge, and it works fine. that control panel was over 25 years old, so I guess understandable that it finally died, but it was still hard to see the carnage.
Electric fencing is your friend!!!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom