My Husky is killing my chickens and ducks, I need help!

Hey all,

This is my first post for this site. I am in DESPERATE NEED of help with my 4 year old husky killing my chickens and ducks.

We began letting out our ducks and chickens to freely roam and forage our property this year. Knowing she may attack them like she did as a puppy one time, we got a shock collar and tried training her not to mess with them. It seemed to work for a few months as she showed no interest in them until one day she killed 7 out of 10 chickens in one day. She ran through the invisible fence straight to their coop while we were gone. The shock collar appears to no longer work as she now just blows through it. We also had it on the highest setting. We did scold her when she came running up to the house with a dead one in mouth. Last week, she killed two Pekins and today killed one call duck.

I am at my wits end and need any help / advice. We also tried putting her on a 15ft leash close to the house while the chickens & ducks are out(she has access to food, water, and shelter), but that does no good as she still manages to get a hold of them(probably them getting too close). She won’t attack them while we’re present, but if we go in the house for a few seconds, bam, she kills. I hate scolding her and hate keeping my chickens/ ducks up, but I can’t have her eating them anymore. Please let me know if you have ANY advice!

**EDIT: Thank you all so much for the advice! **
Sorry but you can't be successful with most dogs and chickens/ducks. It is part of their canine heritage. That is why I have a barn cat she helps me get the eggs and they do not bother each other.

I started keeping chickens when I already had an older, very prey driven pit bull. I knew i could NEVER let my chickens free range as long as I had her .... I just accepted that. When she passed away, I got an adult rat terrier. Turns out she thinks she is a chicken so i can finally free range. You're just not going to be able to have your birds and your dog out at the same time ever.

Hey all,

This is my first post for this site. I am in DESPERATE NEED of help with my 4 year old husky killing my chickens and ducks.

We began letting out our ducks and chickens to freely roam and forage our property this year. Knowing she may attack them like she did as a puppy one time, we got a shock collar and tried training her not to mess with them. It seemed to work for a few months as she showed no interest in them until one day she killed 7 out of 10 chickens in one day. She ran through the invisible fence straight to their coop while we were gone. The shock collar appears to no longer work as she now just blows through it. We also had it on the highest setting. We did scold her when she came running up to the house with a dead one in mouth. Last week, she killed two Pekins and today killed one call duck.

I am at my wits end and need any help / advice. We also tried putting her on a 15ft leash close to the house while the chickens & ducks are out(she has access to food, water, and shelter), but that does no good as she still manages to get a hold of them(probably them getting too close). She won’t attack them while we’re present, but if we go in the house for a few seconds, bam, she kills. I hate scolding her and hate keeping my chickens/ ducks up, but I can’t have her eating them anymore. Please let me know if you have ANY advice!

Thank you all for the advice!

I started keeping chickens when I already had an older, very prey driven pit bull. I knew i could NEVER let my chickens free range as long as I had her .... I just accepted that. When she passed away, I got an adult rat terrier. Turns out she thinks she is a chicken so i can finally free range. You're just not going to be able to have your birds and your dog out at the same time ever.
Get rid of dog ir control dog
Sorry but you can't be successful with most dogs and chickens/ducks. It is part of their canine heritage. That is why I have a barn cat she helps me get the eggs and they do not bother each other.
Get rid of dog or build kennel so dog can't get out. You can't fix dog. You can control his access or get him new home.

. Build fence that dog can't jump,

Hey all,

Take chicken dog has killed. Wire chicken firmly around dog's neck. Let rot, two weeks is enough. Obviously, keep dog outside. Dog will not kill another chicken.

Hey all,

Get a funnel from the veterinarian to put it around your dog’s neck. If she manages to get anything while wearing the funnel let it have it!

Hey all,

I am at my wits end and need any help / advice. We also tried putting her on a 15ft leash close to the house while the chickens & ducks are out(she has access to food, water, and shelter), but that does no good as she still manages to get a hold of them(probably them getting too close). She won’t attack them while we’re present, but if we go in the house for a few seconds, bam, she kills. I hate scolding her and hate keeping my chickens/ ducks up, but I can’t have her eating them anymore. Please let me know if you have ANY advice

It's my experience that huskies do great with any animal that doesn't run from it but once they run its way too much fun to chase and catch. My huskies did great on overhead runs. I suspect that if you put her on a run the birds would avoid that area. You would want to do this incrementally, but it could be a good way to be sure everyone has their outside time. I do this with my dachshund beagle cross, he has never caught a chicken though so different situation.

Be sure to test her on the run cause huskies are escape artists, maybe a chicken wire fence to keep the birds back. I wouldn't leave them for long but it could give you some peice when you are around.

I have two husky/malamute mixes. And i have a remote shock color (with a controller). For weeks i would walk them near the chickens free ranging and if they showed intrest i would use the vibrate setting and give them a stern No! They have never attacked a chicken, but they are very stimulated when the chickens run and start flapping (you can see it in their eyes they want to chase sooo bad). Although they are both scared of my big boss rooster Prince and wont go near him at all, lol! But my girls will come and pick at some frozen beef i give the dogs, while the dogs are eatting and the huskies just let it happen.

My "wolves" arent fenced in and we have always trained them off leash, so they listen very well, but i still dont trust them with the chickens. I dont let them out while the chickens free range or unless I am outside right their with them walking the property. But as you can see from the picture... The chickens try to come in 😂😂🐔

Ultimately it depends on how you trained your dog and how determined it is... Sounds like yours loves the thrill of the chase/kill more than it fears your punishment. I would keep them seperate or keep that pup on tight leash and only let it out while you are right their with it.

Attachments

• 20201204_151007_HDR.jpg
    20201204_151007_HDR.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom