My Husky is killing my chickens and ducks, I need help!

It’s what huskies do. Your fence isn’t working because your huskies coatis blocking the signal. Shave his neck near the collar. Chickens and your dog need to be kept separate. Dogs out. Chickens aren’t and vice versa. I have3 pit bulls. That’s what I do. Keep them separate, keep them alive. He brought you the spoils as gifts. Don’t blame the dog. Just keep them safe and separate. Good luck.

Stop letting them out. Protect your pets.
Hey all,

This is my first post for this site. I am in DESPERATE NEED of help with my 4 year old husky killing my chickens and ducks.

We began letting out our ducks and chickens to freely roam and forage our property this year. Knowing she may attack them like she did as a puppy one time, we got a shock collar and tried training her not to mess with them. It seemed to work for a few months as she showed no interest in them until one day she killed 7 out of 10 chickens in one day. She ran through the invisible fence straight to their coop while we were gone. The shock collar appears to no longer work as she now just blows through it. We also had it on the highest setting. We did scold her when she came running up to the house with a dead one in mouth. Last week, she killed two Pekins and today killed one call duck.

I am at my wits end and need any help / advice. We also tried putting her on a 15ft leash close to the house while the chickens & ducks are out(she has access to food, water, and shelter), but that does no good as she still manages to get a hold of them(probably them getting too close). She won’t attack them while we’re present, but if we go in the house for a few seconds, bam, she kills. I hate scolding her and hate keeping my chickens/ ducks up, but I can’t have her eating them anymore. Please let me know if you have ANY advice!

**EDIT: Thank you all so much for the advice! **
My lab’s prey drive was too strong to train to leave the chickens. I hired a private trainer that came to my house for months. Eventually, i had to built a tall fence between them. Everything has been fine since then. If your dog would dig under the fence, use the typical predator protection methods at the base of the fence that you would use around a coop.

It’s what huskies do. Your fence isn’t working because your huskies coatis blocking the signal. Shave his neck near the collar. Chickens and your dog need to be kept separate. Dogs out. Chickens aren’t and vice versa. I have3 pit bulls. That’s what I do. Keep them separate, keep them alive. He brought you the spoils as gifts. Don’t blame the dog. Just keep them safe and

I would suggest buying an electric fencer and stringing a wire for it around the area your chickens are in. It should sting your dog when he touches it and that would teach him not to go into that area probably the first time. You could run a couple of wires one higher than the other if you think he would just jump over the fence. I use an electric fence around my pens and coops here and it does help keep predators away. The only ones who can get in come from the sky or a tree then down now. I had a neighbors dog come running through my chickens once and he killed several just running over them for fun. I know how hard that is.
There is some electrified poultry fencing available from Premier. It is easy to put up and take down and it does a good job of keeping critters in and predators out. It is certainly worth looking into.

The OP hasn't been back since the day after that first post. I do hope he's taken some of the good advice given on this thread, and wonder how things worked out.
Mary
well either the problem was fixed or the op has more dead chickens. Years ago I solved the problem by tying a dead chicken around the neck of each of the dog. It worked.

Last edited:
Ha
Hey all,

This is my first post for this site. I am in DESPERATE NEED of help with my 4 year old husky killing my chickens and ducks.

We began letting out our ducks and chickens to freely roam and forage our property this year. Knowing she may attack them like she did as a puppy one time, we got a shock collar and tried training her not to mess with them. It seemed to work for a few months as she showed no interest in them until one day she killed 7 out of 10 chickens in one day. She ran through the invisible fence straight to their coop while we were gone. The shock collar appears to no longer work as she now just blows through it. We also had it on the highest setting. We did scold her when she came running up to the house with a dead one in mouth. Last week, she killed two Pekins and today killed one call duck.

I am at my wits end and need any help / advice. We also tried putting her on a 15ft leash close to the house while the chickens & ducks are out(she has access to food, water, and shelter), but that does no good as she still manages to get a hold of them(probably them getting too close). She won’t attack them while we’re present, but if we go in the house for a few seconds, bam, she kills. I hate scolding her and hate keeping my chickens/ ducks up, but I can’t have her eating them anymore. Please let me know if you have ANY advice!

**EDIT: Thank you all so much for the advice! **
Hoping you can get some help as we have a new puppy we think is rounding up our bantams but I am hoping the same didn't happen! We are going to put him out of the yard with our other dog when a little bigger. Not any easy situation! :thumbsup

There is some electrified poultry fencing available from Premier. It is easy to put up and take down and it does a good job of keeping critters in and predators out. It is certainly worth looking into.
A very good idea and might try that with our puppy!:pop

Sorry but once a dog is a chicken killer, they will always be a chicken killer. Huskies have a especially strong pursue and kill instinct so suggest either the dog or the birds need to be in a fenced containment at all times. You cannot discipline or train out instinct and the desire to pursue and kill, especially after they have killed.

Back
Top Bottom