1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My idea, will it work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Karpadm76, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Karpadm76

Karpadm76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    So for the last few months, I have been trying to talk my hubs into getting chickens. He says no, then he says pretty chickens only, then he says you have to build the coop yourself, etc, etc, etc... Resistance is futile you poor man.

We have had some personal setbacks recently, so I am planning on using discarded pallets. I have a 16ft, 2 12ft, and a bunch of regular 4ft ones sitting in my front yard now. The neighbors probably hate me, but such is life.

My idea started when I started drawing up plans for the backyard. I wanted elevated garden beds to make gardening easier. I figured about 3 ft high would work for me. I want to try the square foot gardening, so the boxes needed to be even lengths. With the wood that I have, I figured I could make two that matched and a third one just slightly different. The boxes will be 8ft by 4ft. I was going to line them up so it would be 24ft long and 4 ft wide. The center one, that is the different one, I was going to put my coop on. I was thinking a 4ft by 4ft coop in the center of the box, with the 2ft by 4ft sections on the sides for edible flowers and such. Put the door for them to get out at the bottom and enclose the rest of the garden bed with chicken wire as a run. Will that work? I only want a few chickens, and know that the actual space is ok, but what about the run? Is that being open on the four sides but having a covered top enough sunlight for them? Will the rain getting through the boxes bother them?

Thoughts??

2. well, for the pallets, be careful when you take them apart so they don't crack and stuff. if you don't take the pallets apart, then there would be too many cracks and they would not be protected. i would put siding on it, especially for winter to keep the cold out. Good Luck!!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. Karpadm76

Karpadm76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Yeah, I am planning on disassembling them, using the 2x4's for the framework and the 1xrandoms as something like clapboard siding. I live in southern Louisiana so I really don't think any insulation would be necessary for winters....

4. ok! i think its gonna work![​IMG]
    i just didn't know if you loved somewhere like MO where it gets cold in the winter.

5. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    You might want to cut the nails with a sawsall. Most boards will break if you try to pull the nails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by