Kattnchick

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2019
I took on an injured baby chick at 2 days old. I wasn’t sure if she (I don’t actually know yet if it’s a pullet or cockerel) would thrive because because she couldn’t walk. I nursed her carefully and while the one leg is deformed she can now walk. I won’t get into the whole process because my real question is this. Since I have been so close to her since she was very young she is totally imprinted on me. She is just about three weeks old and I am starting to take her outside while supervised so she can explore and be a chicken. I’ve tried to leave her in a very secure coop with food and water but when I walk away or she can’t see me she starts screaming. I had no idea something this small could be so loud. I ran a short errand and when I got home my neighbor told me she screamed (more like very loud distressed chirping) the entire time. Luckily I am in a situation where I can bring her to work with me (who brings a chicken to work, lol) but obviously I can’t keep doing that. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to transition her to being ok in the coop? She’s still pretty young but bigger everyday and it seems more and more attached as well. Do I go with tough love and let her scream it out until she realizes that she’s fine or do I go soft and slow? I don’t have that much time. I can’t bring her with me to work everyday for much longer (1 week max and that’s really pushing it) as they have already been so tolerant. I love this little thing. What do I do?

The best way in my experience is to get the chick some friends of the same age. The only thing a baby chick needs as much as its 'mother' is siblings. I have had a couple of single chicks get very attached to me but after I got other chicks to keep them company they quite quickly got used to me not always being around.

I have also had a single chick attached to me and could not get her any company. The result was I had to keep her with me for five months until she was ready to start laying. Then hormones took over and she was happy to mix up with the outdoor flock rooster instead of me.

The best way in my experience is to get the chick some friends of the same age. The only thing a baby chick needs as much as its 'mother' is siblings. I have had a couple of single chicks get very attached to me but after I got other chicks to keep them company they quite quickly got used to me not always being around.

I have also had a single chick attached to me and could not get her any company. The result was I had to keep her with me for five months until she was ready to start laying. Then hormones took over and she was happy to mix up with the outdoor flock rooster instead of me.
Oh boy! Well I can’t bring her with me until then. I already have 3 hens and 3 “teenagers” (about 2.5 months) so I was hoping I didn’t have to bring more chicks into this equation but it might be my only option. Thank you for the advice.

She's screaming when you leave her alone because she's lonely and probably scared about it. Social animals don't do well alone, particularly prey animals. You either need to get her some similarly-aged companions, try to introduce her to the others (maybe just in a look-but-don't-touch situation so she can see them?), or temporarily give her to someone else who has similarly aged chicks. That last one is least ideal, I think.

Oh boy! Well I can’t bring her with me until then. I already have 3 hens and 3 “teenagers” (about 2.5 months) so I was hoping I didn’t have to bring more chicks into this equation but it might be my only option. Thank you for the advice.

Chicken math! Yeah, it's probably going to take having a couple of new friends to bond with. I got really, really, really lucky with my broody raised chick with a badly broken leg. Took him everywhere I went - otherwise it was what I call the smoke alarm chirp- no wonder your neighbor wasn't … amused.

Momma hen (one of my saintly broody hens) and his two siblings took him back after several weeks of being absent- they were even willing to over look his flopping around on his good leg and a wing. Once the lower part of the leg was addressed, taping his leg up to his body turned him from super cautious to dare-devil. If the feed stores don't have chicks, craigslist can be a good way to find one or two so you're not adding too many. Most of the mail-orders have a minimum of three (mypetchicken) - depends where you live.

She's screaming when you leave her alone because she's lonely and probably scared about it. Social animals don't do well alone, particularly prey animals. You either need to get her some similarly-aged companions, try to introduce her to the others (maybe just in a look-but-don't-touch situation so she can see them?), or temporarily give her to someone else who has similarly aged chicks. That last one is least ideal, I think.
I’ll do whatever she needs. I’ll start looking for a couple of chicks to be with her today.

I’ll do whatever she needs. I’ll start looking for a couple of chicks to be with her today.
would help if we knew where ya were, here in Idaho I know where ya could get some any age ya want they have 200 at varying age lol. Sometimes you can find a group in your area on here for your local or facebook , lots of places have a chicken group for an area. if you don't want more chicks right now, best thing would be look no touch and start integration, as she would see others it should reduce her stress as they can talk and she knows she isn't a lone, a dog kennel should be save enough to put a lone chick in to see the flock and talk to them

Chicken math! Yeah, it's probably going to take having a couple of new friends to bond with. I got really, really, really lucky with my broody raised chick with a badly broken leg. Took him everywhere I went - otherwise it was what I call the smoke alarm chirp- no wonder your neighbor wasn't … amused.

Momma hen (one of my saintly broody hens) and his two siblings took him back after several weeks of being absent- they were even willing to over look his flopping around on his good leg and a wing. Once the lower part of the leg was addressed, taping his leg up to his body turned him from super cautious to dare-devil. If the feed stores don't have chicks, craigslist can be a good way to find one or two so you're not adding too many. Most of the mail-orders have a minimum of three (mypetchicken) - depends where you live.
Thank you! Looks like we’re gonna get some more chicks for her. She’s fought so hard already to get where she is. I want to be sure I give her what she needs.
would help if we knew where ya were, here in Idaho I know where ya could get some any age ya want they have 200 at varying age lol. Sometimes you can find a group in your area on here for your local or facebook , lots of places have a chicken group for an area. if you don't want more chicks right now, best thing would be look no touch and start integration, as she would see others it should reduce her stress as they can talk and she knows she isn't a lone, a dog kennel should be save enough to put a lone chick in to see the flock and talk to them
Im in the Bay Area in California. I’ll find a group and get her some buddies. It wasn’t the plan but I have a passion for helping little broken creatures.

Back
Top Bottom