My Jersey Black Hen has been butchered!!!

coowella

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
sad.png
I came home today after work and went up to feed & water my 9 month old flock and found my Black Jersey Hen crouched by the heat lamp all by herself trying to keep warm and away from the others...it seems because they had butchered her her back and under her wings looks like hamburger!!! I do not know what to do for her except I did bring her inside and give her water with vitamins and I will get some terramycin for her tommorow, but I do not know what else to do???
Can anyone help!

First thing to do, is get that wound cleaned up. Rinse it with a saline solution. Then you might want to apply some antibiotic cream. I use neosporin. Keep her in a warm place, to help with any shock she might have. Keep her away from all the others, as they will only continue to pick at her wound.
Then you need to figure why they might be picking....are they crowded? Have they been locked up more than usual due to weather? Maybe she had a wound from a rooster breeding, and they saw it, and just started picking??
Keep us updated....oh, and welcome to the BYC. Great group here!

To Justasnak
Thank You for the info I hope I can get her better she is a mess!
I almost can't look at her...
The hens do have have some breeding damage... and for one thing I have too many roosters this is the first time I have had this happen, but I see I will have to get them seperated quickly. They also have been cooped up ...parden the pun....
due to weather, I let them out when I can, is it true if I get dried corn cobs that that will help with the pecking?????

Giving them anything to peck besides each other is good! I've hear corn cobs, squash (spaghetti, acorn, butternut, etc) are fun for them too! I think lettuce...Check the Treats Chart first!! I think some kinds are bad for them! I really hope she gets better! Good thing she has a loving chicken-mom to care for her!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Are you sure your hens did this? It sounds like a predator attack.

If it was your hens, in addition to treating as Justusnak said, you need to figure out who the main hen attacking is and separate her for a week. When she comes back in the flock, she will have lost her place in the peck order.

Back
Top Bottom