My journey so far.

Lythy

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2015
So I built myself a 6x6 coop in anticipation of getting 10 hens. I was told they were warrens hybrids. I spent a week building it. And a 12x6 run. Coop floor and run 18x6. I noticed last week that my hens started to bow down when I went near them. Still no eggs 3 weeks now. I noticed a big change in combs going red and today my patience has been rewarded by a large 65 gram egg. My wife went to cook it for my dinner and called me in to show me not one but 2 beautiful orange yolks. Yes my first egg from my hens was a double yolker. So impressed.

They look similar to the red sex-links ... A med-sized large fowl (compared to a bantam)

Having your own eggs are YUMMIE!

I know you just spent a lot of time (and probably money too) but your coop and run too are kind of cramped for that many chickens ... Usually the BARE MINUMUM is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop, and 10 sq ft per bird in the run ... Of course chickens come in different sizes, and temperaments ... They may do well in this size, but watch for feather picking and crankiness ...

Are those round roost bars, the one looks a little saggy with that many birds on it, maybe see if you could add another support in the middle?

Enjoy your new egg supply! :)

I changed the layout inside since will get some pics soon. I will add more roost space. And a window , I worked out that I have enough space for 9 with 4sqf coop. And 10sqf run. I will build them another run soon as funds allow. 24x6. I know I'm at max hens for space at the moment. I must say there's no fighting and they have free run of coop floor and run every day. I think layout makes a massive difference. They have 3 rows now.

Edit.
Oh that beam did break. I installed 2x2 instead. Sanded edges.

Last edited:
Going to get materials for the run tomorrow. Going for 30x8x6 high. 242 feet of chicken wire needed.
1f61c.png
1f61c.png
1f61c.png
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom