My journey to change Chicken Laws in Citrus Heights, Ca ~ and keep my flock

The City Council meeting did not go well. They basically said that very few people have contacted them with interest in changing the city code. They did say that one of the "loop-holes" in the current code is that chickens aren't included as "small farm animals" if they are your pets. The other loop-hole would be that animals under 6 months old are also excluded from the code. To me that would mean that you are within the law if your chickens are under 6 months old.

[The current code wording-- Section 8-47
ii. Small animal keeping. The minimum site area for the noncommercial, not-for-profit, keeping of small animals, of at least six months of age with a weight of less than 75 pounds at maturity, other than pets, as an incidental use, shall be 10,000 square feet; except that roosters shall be allowed only on a site of 20,000 square feet or larger, or within an RD-1 or RD-2 zoning district.]

I will update with the actual video and minutes of the meeting as soon as they post them. I have not heard anything else from the Code Enforcement Department and at this point I am assuming that they have closed my "file".

As a fellow CH native with a smaller than 10k I was wondering if you have dropped the fight or if this still continues? Were you able to find a way to keep your chickens with the loop-holes available?

I am in Rocklin and am trying to do the same thing. Chicken-Revolution.com has the information on how to go about changing their minds. The more people that you have the less voters will vote for them if they do not listen. I am also going to try to call an advocacy group in sacramento. Keep me posted and don't give up:). You can also try chicken-revolution.com they have a lot of info.

Last edited:
I live in Citrus Heights and am under attack for the second time in two years. I let it go and went "under the radar" the last time around, but this time I'm fired up. I'm ready to head up or join a concentrated effort to change the laws in Citrus Heights. Is anyone out there with me? My story is identical to that of the original author of this thread. I am friends with many chicken owners and participate in the Orangevale Open Small Animal Exchange and Yellow Rose Ranch. I have two young sons, and these chickens are our PETS. We do not have roosters, and are considerate neighbors who live on property that is just minimally short of 10,000 sq. feet. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Let's unite and stop this attack once and for all!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Citrus Heights and am under attack for the second time in two years. I let it go and went "under the radar" the last time around, but this time I'm fired up. I'm ready to head up or join a concentrated effort to change the laws in Citrus Heights. Is anyone out there with me?

My story is identical to that of the original author of this thread. I am friends with many chicken owners and participate in the Orangevale Open Small Animal Exchange and Yellow Rose Ranch. I have two young sons, and these chickens are our PETS. We do not have roosters, and are considerate neighbors who live on property that is just minimally short of 10,000 sq. feet. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Let's unite and stop this attack once and for all!

Hello,

I may be able to help. It depends on your zoning and if the codes are written in a way that impede on your civil rights as a property owner. My friend helped me through the process since he is on a planning commission for sac county. Also, if you get an Annual Consumer Membership for $50 with FarmtoConsumer.org, you get legal help from Pete. Once code enforcement sends you a compliant in writing, you will have a chance to appeal usually within 10 days. Appeal it. I see several problems with the chicken law below. First of all, they must have a reason for the law like the setback of 10,000 sq foot maintains property values, or health and safety and not because it makes them feel better.

Citrus Heights Chicken Law "Small animals under 75 pounds in weight for the private use of the property owner, may be kept within the city based on sufficient square footage for the number of small animals. There is a 10,000 square foot lot size minimum. Check with the Planning Division to find out the size of a particular property."

This was my argument," The City Miscellaneous Animals Ordinance is constitutionally vague, over-breath, and discriminatory in its enforcement. In addition, the ordinance does not show any compelling interest in having such an ordinance because there is no data to support the need for this ordinance within the City." I think you can use the same argument in your appeal.

Pete can help you with all this, but unlike you, I know my city government. I am working with city to hopefully change the laws, but you will probably have to challenge the city. All this time I was going to do like everybody else and appealing to the city, but really I have a right to have chickens. Thank goodness I have friends that helped me out.

I recently bought a house in Citrus Heights on a 1,800 sq ft lot so based on what I've found, I'm allowed a "healthy sized flock" however because I'm in an RD-Zone 3 area and under 2,000 sq ft I don't think I am allowed to own a rooster. (RD-1 and 2 areas are an exception due to low density neighborhoods). I have a neighbor who keeps chickens and I know she's been reported (not sure exactly for what) but she recently got rid of all her roosters. Last week I got a police complaint about weeds growing in my back yard and I'm starting to think it's the old couple living behind our houses that's reporting everyone for every little thing. I desperately want chickens and it's the main reason I purchased this house. There are TONS of wild ones that roam up and down the street and crow at all hours of the day. They aren't pets so no one can do anything about it. This. Sucks. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help the cause...

Dear Stukufie, I might be missing something. According to you post "I'm allowed a "healthy sized flock" however because I'm in an RD-Zone 3 area and under 2,000 sq ft I don't think I am allowed to own a rooster." It seems like you can have chickens just maybe not a rooster? You really don't need a rooster. My accidental rooster made girls nervous and down right noisy. My bother-in-law leaves his in the garage until mid day or you can also get a rooster collar if you really want a rooster. I have a really mean neighbor too and at some point their unfounded complaints are criminal harassment. You could send them a letter saying you will file criminal charges against you for harassment if they continue to make unfounded complaints. I would talk to your neighbors and make sure it's them first. If they are looking over fences and making complaints, you pretty much know it's them as I did with my neighbor and I confirmed this by talking to all my neighbors. One final note, I would like to start a network to have monthly meetings to provide support and change the chicken laws. If anybody is interested, please let me know.

Yes a monthly meeting would be great. And yes, I am allowed to have hens just no roosters because I am slightly under 20,000 sq ft. Sorry - I left out a 0 in my last post, my lot is 18,000 sq feet (almost half an acre) but no roosters allowed unless you have 20,000 sqft. I plan to get chicks to raise so I'm worried I'd end up with an unplanned rooster. If I did I would prefer to keep it rather than give it away, but the law's the law I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom