My JUMBO Italian Celadon Project

Spoken like a budding addict!

You're talking about the next hatch after just putting a new hatch in!
I didnt even think about that:lau!! I never expected to get this into it. I started with a dozen quail and thought I would just breed them for size and meat in a big aviary. Now I all sorts of colors and plans written out and have forgotten about weighing them and keeping them just for meat!

Wow its been since July 10th since I updated!!! Sorry! Well now all fawn and celadons are mature and ready for breeding. Ive got 7 celadon hens, and kept 4 celadon roosters. I have made a cage (soon to be divided into two cages once I free up some space and use some up in the freezer), with two Manchurian roosters, and the 7 celadon hens. Then a cage with my italians and a silver italian celadon rooster. I added the second cage together on Thursday so they aren't ready for incubation but I did just start incubating some from the first cage. 37 bright blue eggs hopefully long enough that they are fertilized by the Manchurian males. 16 days left! Anyways sorry for the lack of updates a lot has happened here and Ive just kind of been waiting on the quail!
Yeah I have found that celadon eggs are especially fragile when shipped. I have had horrible hatch rates from shipped eggs and even from eggs I picked up and drove home. I think finding local eggs is a much better bet even if they’re pricier. $60 for 12 eggs shipped seems like a really bad idea haha—even local that’s expensive!! Especially since hatch rates rarely ever reach 90+%!

Yeah I have found that celadon eggs are especially fragile when shipped. I have had horrible hatch rates from shipped eggs and even from eggs I picked up and drove home. I think finding local eggs is a much better bet even if they’re pricier. $60 for 12 eggs shipped seems like a really bad idea haha—even local that’s expensive!! Especially since hatch rates rarely ever reach 90+%!
yeah definitely

My original celadons were shipped and lost in the mail, I received them after 9 days in transit. 19/36 hatched and thrived. So it can be done. Having said that, I’ve been testing shipment success cross country. The first shipment was less than stellar, but I’ve changed up my feed and I’m hoping for better results on the next try. I’m hoping feed that contains more calcium will make a difference, even though I provide them oyster shell, I feel like they don’t really like it and eat as little as possible.

Hello! After a fair amount of research I decided I wanted to start a project and develop a Jumbo Italian Celadon Coturnix. I know, like I said in the title (🤣), this is no short project. Maybe Im going a bit far for my first time really trying to breed something other than just - keep jumbo size in already jumbo quail. But I can be patient (I hope). Anyways, I have never actually bred celadon quail before, only talked to people online and read a lot of good articles. I got a lot of help on an earlier thread. I want to breed these for a few simple reasons:

1. I get bothered that its hard to candle quail eggs and see in detail what's going on and I believe celadons will be easier without the brown splotches
2. I am super excited to learn more about quail genetics through BYC and experience
3. I LOVE the Italian color and raise quail for meat so would like them to be jumbo
4. I am hoping to sell these eggs somewhere down the road if I can achieve my goal
5. Honestly I just love the record keeping and problem solving of quail breeding and think this will be very fun.

I ordered 25 gold eggs from Myshire Farm that have been packaged today and should ship very soon (😆 so excited). I am gonna need another incubator but am now looking into what celadons I want to get specifically. I have found some Tibetan and tuxedo celadons, does anyone have recommendations for what color celadons I should come up with? I know Italians are incomplete dominant so I am really not sure how it will go trying to breed these. However I know its not best to breed golds to gold for more than a few generations before adding something else in then breeding out. So its got to be possible without screwing up the colors. Anyways, I would love to hear any insight or ideas you may have. I am going to keep posting the happenings on this thread if not just for myself to look back and see later.

Also, does this even sound interesting to anyone😂? No but really, I want these for my own self as well but if this is something people might want to buy I would love to know. I was searching for Italian celadons and couldn't find any, thats what made me think to do it myself.
FRIENDLY REMINDER. CELADON EGG LAYING QUAILS CAN BE IN ANY GIVEN COLOR. CELADON IS RECESSIVE GEN DISCOVERED IN CANADA AND THEN GET SPREADED DUE TO BLUEISH COLOR OF EGGS, WHICH GET INTEREST BY MANY BREEDERS. PROPER CANDLING TECHNIQUE IS NOT HARD TO DETERM FERTILIZED EGGS ON SPECKLED EGGS, IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR. THIS IS GOOD EXAMPLE OF FERTIZED QUAIL EGG ON DAY 6. SMALL VESELS ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE AND GOOD INDICATOR THAT YOU HAVE LIVE EMBRIO DEVELOPING.
THANKS FOR READING
IMG_20210727_075252656_1.jpg

FRIENDLY REMINDER. CELADON EGG LAYING QUAILS CAN BE IN ANY GIVEN COLOR. CELADON IS RECESSIVE GEN DISCOVERED IN CANADA AND THEN GET SPREADED DUE TO BLUEISH COLOR OF EGGS, WHICH GET INTEREST BY MANY BREEDERS. PROPER CANDLING TECHNIQUE IS NOT HARD TO DETERM FERTILIZED EGGS ON SPECKLED EGGS, IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR. THIS IS GOOD EXAMPLE OF FERTIZED QUAIL EGG ON DAY 6. SMALL VESELS ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE AND GOOD INDICATOR THAT YOU HAVE LIVE EMBRIO DEVELOPING.
THANKS FOR READING
View attachment 2850872
YES INDEED THIS IS TRUE. THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. 😂 sorry i thinkyou left your caps lock on. I am well aware that the celadon gene is in no way related to plumage color. I am simply trying to breed for celadons with italian plumage. I know they arent genetically related I am just breeding for both together. Yeah some arent bad but I always thought they were easier because I get a lot of eggs that haves splotches covering the majority of the egg.

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to breed for larger celadon eggs. My biggest celadon eggs are now still rather small (12/13g) compared to my other normal quail laying big eggs (15/16g), which are mostly Italians.
So... My goal is now to cross them to increase the blue egg size.
Any thoughts or experience out there?
How much do your biggest celadon eggs weight?
Thanks a lot for sharing!
Kind regards

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to breed for larger celadon eggs. My biggest celadon eggs are now still rather small (12/13g) compared to my other normal quail laying big eggs (15/16g), which are mostly Italians.
Kind regards
Ive seen some pics of large celadon eggs that are as big as bantam eggs.

Hi everyone!
Kind regards
Oh nice! Well first of all how old are your birds? For the first few weeks they dont lay quite as big eggs. Then they usually get larger.

Then just FYI im not entirely sure about your experience with celadons. If you cross them with your non celadon italians your only going to get non celadon eggs. Then crossing those together you will get 25% celadon eggs. Then from there its a whole process eliminating non celadons and trying to figure out a celadon rooster. Meanwhile I dont think this will make your eggs much bigger. If I were you I would set up some cages for spiral breeding. Then just start selecting the largest eggs and larger birds. USUALLY larger birds lay larger eggs. It might not be a quick process but I think thats the best way to do it besides looking online and finding someone with large celadon egg size averages. But thats kind of cheating 😂 . I havent weighed my celadon eggs recently but they are just a tiny bit smaller than my other ones. Ive got two pharaohs that somehow lay 18-19g eggs daily! When I get the chance I am definitely gonna work on those.

Back
Top Bottom