My JUMBO Italian Celadon Project

Italian is funky, 2 Italians don’t always make a manchurian. Sometimes they’ll just be a bit less speckly than Italian. But keep crossing em and in a couple gens you’ll have some nice ones.

I bred my celadon Roos until I had produced 60+ celadon hens and 0 non celadons, before I confidently began selling them as pure celadons.

Manchurian to manchurian is not lethal. It makes all manchurians. I read recently the lethal gene was at the same place as the fawn gene, but it’s not the same, and most lines have bred it out. My Myshire snowies had several manchurian males and no hens, thru crossing back and forth, I’ve made more manchurian males but no hens. I’ve never read it being sex linked in any way, so I guess it’s bad luck, I’ve seen photos of manchurian hens.
Oh okay that’s really good to know. Honestly like you suggested earlier I don’t care if the color looks good at the start😂. I’m thinking I’ll try to just get the double italian celadon rooster and once I make more and have pure celadon I will focus on the color from there.

Perfect! I was hoping it wasn’t.

Does anyone have a farm they got celadons at they really like or would recommend? I saw that paradise poultry has them. Ive never gotten anything from paradise but hear good things. @FloorCandy, did you like the celadons you got?

Ive been looking at rising Phoenix farm as well and they have a relatively good price.

Update on Paradise Poultry:

60$ for 12 celadon eggs!!! Thats a little insane for me. I think I will probably go with rising phoenix unless I find a better one.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a farm they got celadons at they really like or would recommend? I saw that paradise poultry has them. Ive never gotten anything from paradise but hear good things. @FloorCandy, did you like the celadons you got?

Ive been looking at rising Phoenix farm as well and they have a relatively good price.

Update on Paradise Poultry:

60$ for 12 celadon eggs!!! Thats a little insane for me. I think I will probably go with rising phoenix unless I find a better one.
I got super lucky, I bought mine on eBay. You want to try to find someone who guarantees 100% celadons if possible.

YAAAY! My new incubator arrived!!!! I cant wait to use it!
unnamed.jpg

YAAAY! My new incubator arrived!!!! I cant wait to use it!View attachment 2715491
I traced the free hatching mat they included onto shelf liner, and cut it out. I use the shelf liner and wash it and reuse, instead of the cardboard mats. I also don’t use the paper sponge they provided, you can just cut a regular sponge into pieces that fit. I live in a humid area and don’t need a sponge anyway. The bators are great, amazing! But they really go out of their way to make trashy accessories.

I traced the free hatching mat they included onto shelf liner, and cut it out. I use the shelf liner and wash it and reuse, instead of the cardboard mats. I also don’t use the paper sponge they provided, you can just cut a regular sponge into pieces that fit. I live in a humid area and don’t need a sponge anyway. The bators are great, amazing! But they really go out of their way to make trashy accessories.
Thank you for the tips! I haven’t even looked at the intructions yet☹️. Today marks 9 weeks on my CX but I will take a closer look tonight.

I am new to quail, (but definitely not new to breeding and genetics!), and I would highly suggest keeping an eye on health factors while going for this larger version of the morph. Mostly, taking the time to get animals that really thrive while moving towards the visible traits you want - rather than potentially accepting a sub-par quail into your breeding stock because it shows the visible traits you want -- even if it's a bit slower at times because you'd have to pass up on a visibly great quail that might have minor functional defects. You don't want to end up with genetically weaker animals! (Just, for example, birds that might not hatch well on their own, or seem to have health issues overall). It's likely not going to be a major problem with slow gradual increases in size, but something to watch out for in that department is to make sure they don't have any small structural problems that go along with bigger body size -- like, for example, possible hatching issues or problems with their proportions. (Limping or movement problems, etc, just for a brainstormed example.)

Just for example! It's kind of a given but sometimes people overlook health in the name of appearance and it's best not to ingrain those into a breeding line! :)

Following for information. I just started with quail and have found I prefer the size of my Golden’s growth rate. It’s matching the jumbo. I’m new to all this genetics stuff but bought Italian, Rosetta, Tibetan,jumbo and a couple other varieties of colors, hatched the eggs and will try to thin back my numbers. But they are all such beautiful colors. And I found I have celadon layers. But don’t I have to have a male carrying the gene also to pass the blue egg trait on?

Following for information. I just started with quail and have found I prefer the size of my Golden’s growth rate. It’s matching the jumbo. I’m new to all this genetics stuff but bought Italian, Rosetta, Tibetan,jumbo and a couple other varieties of colors, hatched the eggs and will try to thin back my numbers. But they are all such beautiful colors. And I found I have celadon layers. But don’t I have to have a male carrying the gene also to pass the blue egg trait on?
Yes, the male must have at least 1 copy too. So if you have a blue laying hen/hens, cross them to an unknown male, and all offspring will be carriers at least. Cross blue laying hens to one of the male carriers, and half will be full celadons and half will be carriers. With males, unless you get them from a homogenous celadon flock, the only way to be sure it’s carrying 2 copies of celadon is to breed it to a celadon layer(s) and get a large amount of offspring hens, 40 + to be certain imo, and if every single one lays blue, your male probably has 2 copies. If even one lays normal eggs, he’s not carrying 2 copies.

Back
Top Bottom