My Keets came early!!!!

CryFowl1

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2016
Black Canyon City, AZ
First of all I'm thrilled, but I have no lamp till tomorrow and they just beat up on the runt! I walked into the bathroom to find this little guy all beat up! what can I do to save him!!!! He is opening his mouth like he wants to chirp but nothing is coming out or is he just dying...oh please help! My son bonded with him this morning, "because he is small just like me". I can't bare to have him come home to his new buddy being dead.

sad.png

Last edited:
Keep him warm and isolated from the others. Offer him some water and food and see if he will eat or drink anything. I'm so sorry I really hope he makes it. Let us know how he does.

I have Lupus and I'm still recovering from a trip. So I kept him with me under the covers and close to my heart. After keeping him warm with me, he seemed to be doing great! He started chirping but he could not stand. I held him up and held the eyedropper with electrolytes water and he took it and he did not stop! He was chirping loud and clear! But could not stand. At first I thought it was splayed leg but I think it was just weak. I wanted to keep him with me but we put him in a box covered in with the other keets under the lamp.

Next morning he got up and was in good spirits and was eating and drinking, we exercised his little legs, and like Thursday he did really well and chirping and appeared happy. I would exercise him, feed him, give him electrolytes but he still could not stand up on his own. I was hopeful. He went back to bed in his box Friday night and back with the others under the lamp.

Saturday morning. He seemed really tired his chirping was weak and I did not push him. I tried to get him to sleep standing up, propped up and covered until noon. He was tired, weak and falling asleep. I kept him warm again, under the covers and close to my heart. He was still chirping but not loud. I knew I over did it but I was anxious to see him do better. I kept him close to me again.every so often he would stir and I would give him a drop of electrolytes and that is all he wanted. It went on like that till midnight. I wanted to keep him with me. But I got tired. My husband put him in the box. Deep down inside I knew he would not make it. I gave him a kiss on the head and like he had been doing since Thursday and he got used to me doing that, he tried to open his eyes and lift his head. This time he couldn't.

I woke up at 6:00 today, this is unusual for me especially with medication I am taking. I woke my husband and asked him to bring me my Keeter. There was no chirping like there had been on Friday and Saturday morning. I hoped before I opened the box that he was still hanging on but in my heart I knew. His little body was still covered by the washcloth I put over him the night before. I wrapped him and gave him one last kiss. Tomorrow we'll do for him what we did not do for the others. He was a little fighter, He had a will to live but knew that I could not hand feed him or give him an eyedropper for the rest of his life. He will be buried in a nice wooden box by the chicken coop. He was a brave little keet. My only regret is that I could not stay up and make him feel loved and comfortable till he passed.

I've since lost 3 other keets in the group. 2 white and 1 brown. But Keeter was a simple, tiny, runt Pearl with courage, and fight and will to live.
love.gif

He gave me something that I did not think I had anymore courage, fight and will to live.

Bless your heart for taking such good care of him. I'm so sorry he passed away. He was brave and put up a good fight to live. He knew he was loved.
hugs.gif

Thank you! I needed that, truly I did. All I have to do is think about him and it makes me cry. His fight was inspirational, that was for sure. I was blessed to have him in my life however short it was.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom