My kids asked a question, I had no answer: Twins

chellebyerly

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Jasper Texas
Okay, My kids are starting to remember when we had chickens before. (we are starting again) and hubby and I were talking about it, and explaining that they would need to get in the habit of cracking eggs into a bowl, etc.

Then we got on the subject of double yolks. I had about 4 chickens in my flock that were steady double yolkers. (even had one egg inside an egg, it is published at a website .... cant remember the name of it right now)

anyway, the boys had in the meantime seen a film at school about chickens and eggs and all. They informed me that you couldnt eat eggs if there was a rooster. We cleared this up. (Stupid School!!)

but they asked me if there would be twins if it was a double yolker. I said I honestly didnt know.

So, does it happen? or does the chick just get a great start cause it has a double dose of nutrements ? LOL

Do a search for double yolker on here. Someone hatched one out and has video of the whole thing. It's pretty incredible.

Good for your boys for being interested in sciency things!

There is a post of two chicks coming from one egg...that's all I know...
idunno.gif

I actulaly found this website from a member on BYC that had it actually happen....two chicks from one egg...I think they helped but I can't remember...and they are still both alive...

I stumbled across it a few days back and I was going to post it on here but I figured nah...there are plenty of people that have experience....but now I wish I had saved the link....

well-- I dunno about the double yolkers giving twins...
but I'd for certain be on the phone with the school and inform them of their "error" about the eggs... they shouldn't be misinforming kids any more than they already do!

Belive me I am going to address this with the school.

I was already agervated when they had the nerve to suggest to my children they should attempt a vegaterian lifestyle for a week.
If all you want to do is eat sprouts, go for it. I dont care. BUT, in my house, I cook meat. and if you want to eat, its gona have meat in it. or come from an animal in one way or another. I am not talking about just eating veggies, and such. I am talking all the way, no animal NOTHING.

THank y'all!! I will try to find a DSL connection and show them the video! I am interested too!
smile.png

Oh and I spent HOURS reading about speckled chickens and toomanychickens (I think thats her name.... sorry if not) expeiriences. It was amazing, and sooooo neat to read about!

Back
Top Bottom