My kids want ducks.

briana1975

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Carleton Mi.
My kids want me to get ducks. Now the babies are as cute as can be but I am limited on what the diffrent breeds look like or act like. I do know, I could not or would not want to keep them with my chickens. I searched coops for ducks and that could be done easy. But how hard is it to care for them? Let me know what some pretty, and easy going breeds are or a site to all things duck breed so I could see if there is a breed I might like.

Here are my ducks... White one is a Pekin and the Brown one is a Mallard
wink.png

rufustoni.jpg

(Pekins grow FAST)

I have 5 Khakis, one pekin and one rouen. See my website and scroll to the beginning if you want an idea of my last few months with new ducks. I think they are relatively easy. They don't need much as far as shelter. I use a Little Tikes playhouse with some fencing. They are great entertainment and kids would love them. They have super personalities too! Good luck!

What are you looking for? Do you want ducks just as pets, as egg layers, as meat birds?
Do you want birds that are relatively quiet, or does it matter?
Do you want a bird that could fly, or does that matter?

I have pekins, rouens, and cayugas, all of which are egg layer/meat bird types, and they eat the food to prove it!! The pekins and rouens drakes get to upwards of 10+ pounds. The cayugas are not quite as big, drakes being about 8-9 pounds.

The pekin ducks are by far the loudest of the breeds I have, though there is one rouen duck that has a mouth when she wants something!

Most ducks are very skittish, only coming to you when they want food mostly. There are of course, exceptions to this. I believe nettie has some that stay indoors that loved to be held, but they are indoors all the time, so they see people constantly. Mine basically will come around me if I stand still, and will try their best to fly if my son is near!

The heavier breeds can not fly. Basically, mallards, call ducks, and muscovies are the ones that can fly, the others are too heavy. Mine can fly a little bit, but they never get any lift, and usually 'fly' from the banks of the pond into the water. Kind of a graceful belly flop.

Ducks are just lovely, I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose!

If they are for pets and you are not concerned about egg laying and such. I would order Silky Ducks from Holderread. They are really sweet bantam sized sucks that make excellent pets. 32 - 36 ounces fully grown.

I ordered Ancona and Golden Welsh Harlequin from them and they carry Silky ducks. You can check out their sight and read about the ducks and such.

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

Last edited:
For a pet with personality I'd go with Muscovy. Once you get past that red on the face they are sweet, calm, easily tamed (for a duck) & just full of personality. They are not as messy as the mallard derivative ducks. They are FAR quieter than the mallard derived ducks. They don't tend to bill-up big holes in your lawn or around their waterer. They eat way less than the other ducks. However the mallard derived ducks have their charms also - that's why I keep both kinds.
big_smile.png

I think also you should think about water issues. Will the ducks have access to a pool or pond to swim in? Or would you prefer a breed that tends to like to stay on land. They all like to get wet, but some a real swimmers, ie live on the water, and some prefer to live on land and get wet to clean.

Your Mallard derived ducks will want to live in a pool or pond so you'll need to provide them with a "swimming or playing" area. They just can't get enough water. This would be mallards, rouens, khaki's, pekins, etc.

Runners and muscoveys are more of a yard duck. They need the pan of water to get cleaned up in but aren't compulsive swimmers.

The other thing to consider, before you give in to your son's desires. Ducks are messy. Very very messy. They poop in the yard, they poop in their water. The water they swim in, the water they drink, the water they clean with. They walk and sleep on their poop. They were made to live in the water which would naturally clean all the poop off. Flies will come to live in their pen if you don't keep it scrupulously clean... many use Diacotomus earth to help keep the larva down.

I'm not trying to be a downer here...it's just that I don't want you to do this on impulse to please your boys and then be in over your head.

Ducks are wonderful. I had them as a child, and I have 11 now. They are funny to watch and a joy to have. It's just that the reality of the sets in very quickly.

So if this doesn't scare you off.... and I hope it doesn't... ducks are amazing and keeping them clean isn't much of a chore if you are having fun watching them waddle and play while your doing it.

Good luck picking your breed.

Laney

Back
Top Bottom