My Large chicken tractor.

katoranger

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
Altamont, KS
We closed on our acreage a month ago and I finally got to the point that I could start building a tractor. I am using treated lumber for most of the exposed framing and parts that touch the ground. The actual coop portion is being built from free pallet lumber.

This is what we got done today. The footprint is 8x10 and 6 feet high. Coop is 4x8. They have the entire footprint for a run so 80sf.

The little blue Ford tractor will be put to work to move this. The 8 foot width will slide out of the shop door.

This is my first coop/tractor build. I plan to build some more after this one. Will update with more pictures when we get further along.

See down for some pictures. I found out how to post them.

Last edited:
can you upload some regular pictures. It says you got to create an account, than I did that, and it wanted something else. I am very interested to see your master piece but the process to see it is a pain lol

I will upload some pictures. I just read how to do it here. Photobucket usually works.

This is as far as we got on Saturday. I plan to add a nest box on the back and the two sides will open up to make it easy to clean in there.

I have not purchased any chicken wire/fencing yet. We have Orschelyns (Like TSC) and ACE hardware stores plus the local building supply who carries some material. I was thinking of using welded wire over the whole run and then the bottom 3 feet would have a layer of chicken wire or hardware cloth so little ones can't get out. I am open to suggestions as I just started with a rough sketch and seeing what happens from there. I have reused a few old pallets for the floor and the one wall. Also taking the slats from pallets to make siding. I plan to vent it well at the roof peak.

We have 4.5 acres to move it around on and I will probably let them free range when I am at home. During the day when everyone is gone we will keep them locked up in the tractor.

The middle of the floor is open and I plan to build a ladder on a hinge that I can pull shut at night to secure them inside the coop. We have neighbor dogs and coyotes.

I plan to add some wheels that I can lower to help move it.

Also plan to add a solar light for winter months. I plan to get chicks in late February and keep them in the shop until they are ready for the tractor.

I see that ACE carries along of hardware cloth. This looks like the best material to use. 1/2 inch holes should be fine. What gauge of wire should I get?

Since the footprint of the run is 8x10 which equals 80sf I think about 8 chickens. I can move the tractor daily with no problems I have 4 plus acres to slide it around on. I plan to have more chickens, but only after I build more space.

Back
Top Bottom