My Large chicken tractor.

The local building supply had reasonably price hardware cloth. They had both 1/2" on 1/4". The also had poultry netting and welded wire. I was surprise that there pricing was pretty close to the chain stores. I prefer to spend my money locally so I will buy whatever I decide to use there.

I am thinking of covering the run in 1/2" hardware cloth and then wrapping the lower 4 feet in the welded wire to add more strength. Mostly concerned with the neighbor dogs. The poultry netting just doesn't seem to be strong enough and I don't think it will last.

At this time I don't really want to setup a large run.

I worked on the nesting boxes today. That is about all I got to. I made four based on the group saying that they tend to share. My plan is to have a hinge bottom to make cleaning them out easier and then a hinged lid to retrieve eggs.

All the pieces I used were recycled except the screws. I am trying to reuse materials as much as possible.

I found two pieces of tin along the side of the road today. About six feet long. They are still in my company truck until I figure out how to get them into my corolla.
thumbsup.gif

Some more of the front siding is done. I am going to leave it open at the top for ventilation. Will put hardware cloth across there.

The ramp/door. I hinged it so that it can be pulled shut at night. It seals tightly into the floor.

We put a hinged floor on the nesting boxes also. The girls thought they would make nests.

That is all for today. My order of hardware cloth comes in tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom