My last post on this topic, I swear.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, May 20, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I have to decide whether or not I can do this. I have to place the order with the feed store by Monday or Tuesday for delivery the following week.

I can't believe I'm so torn over what should be a simple thing. I eat chicken and turkey all the time, multiple times a week. We consume more poultry than red meat in my house.

If I eat it, I should be able to grow it and process it. But I don't know if I can.

Help, what does this mean?

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    It means you consider your animals pets and part of the family. You just can't seem to eat your young.

3. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    I'm with you 100%... All my hunting is done in Publix. I simply cant eat something that I raised (in my bathtub in my HOUSE) or that had a name...

I make up for it by growing all my own veggies though!

4. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    It means you are a caring person who doesn't take these things for granted!

I care alot about my egg layers....they are very pet-like. And that is precisely what motivates me to do the meat bird thing. I'm going to eat meat, anyway, and raising them myself gives me the opportunity to provide my meat birds with a relaxed, happy life, and humane processing.

It's not easy or comfortable for ME, and who knows, perhaps after I do it for the first time, I'll say 'never again'....but I'm going to try.

Don't be too hard on yourself about it; go with what your heart tells you.

Good luck.
    [​IMG]

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Buy a few, 3 to 5. Give it a try.

If you eat meat you either kill the animal or hire others to do it for you. Hope it turns out well for you.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Buy your egg layers and then get just 2-3 meat birds. If you find you can't kill them, it won't break the bank to give them away.

The first few are very difficult to do. Not the butchering part. The actual killing. It does get easier. You do end up with a very nice reward of meat that is much better than anything you can purchase.

Also, you must remember that you give your birds a good life. Not like the cage raised birds that you buy in the market.

7. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I could NEVER do it so don't feel bad and don't get them if you are so torn about it

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    All you can do is try it and see how you feel about it. I know that birds I raise myself have a better life and an easier death than a store-bought chicken. Killing isn't fun or easy, but at least when I do it myself, I feel a greater connection with my food and don't take it for granted as I have in the past buying chicken in neat little packages from the store.

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    This why dh has to be the one to process. I have such a huge soft spot for all critters. They are very pet - like you worry over them while chicks , you try to give them the best life you can. But in the end we chose dual pourpose birds. We also have a garden for our veggies, in todays financial environment & the use of hormones & other things in our food supply at least you can feel much better about what you are serving your family. It is much healtier [​IMG] But if you are conflicted it would be better to wait til you can resolve your concerns. raising chickens for your table can not be done by everyone.

10. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I would do it just to prove to myself I could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by