My layer was acting like an idiot.......

holliewould

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Planet Earth
all because I cleaned out her nest box. I simply rearranged it a bit with fresh grasses and straws and she threw a fit. She went in after I did some cleaning and threw an immediate tantrum in the nest box. Screamed and clucked and ran out of the coop like I was some kind of murderer. It was complete chaos and drama. For at least 2 hours she was scrambling around in what seemed like total desperation. The whole neighborhood must have thought I was back handing her or something because some neighborhood kids came over asking me what was going on. Anyway, I locked her and her sister in the coop and she finally laid her 11th little pullet egg. Still, I haven't let them out of pullet prison until I know her PMS is under control. Is this normal for them to be so emotional or I should say in her case, traumatized, after such an insignificant change? I was trying to be nice and change her dang sheets.

lau.gif
lau.gif

I've never heard of that behavior either but I love the drama!

Oh my goodness that was funny!!!! These darned animals give us so much laughter! Mine hae never done that either, though we go in there and bust around in their nests all the time looking for eggs and removing the poopy straw.

We cleaned the coop out and the whole thing was all nice and clean, the OPPOSITE of what it had been. When the chickens were let back in they freaked like none other, they were terrified! I can't wait to see their first snow!

We had a similar situation when my husband went to clean out the coop a couple of months ago. One of our girls completely freaked out. She told him off like you wouldn't believe. I could hear her from across the yard squawking and pitching a fit. Then came my favorite part. DH began Bok-Boking back at her! They went back and forth Bok-Boking at each other for several minutes. When he finally came out of the coop, he said "I think I made her mad." No Kidding!

Half an hour later she was out running around the yard and acting perfectly normal. Goofy chickens...

Back
Top Bottom