My leghorns sound like foghorns..............

DebbieLynn

Songster
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
East Tennessee
I have 4, but only 3 are laying. I can't believe how LOUD these girls are and they squawk for probaly 20 mins bfore laying and then another 5-10 mins after laying! They've only been laying for a couple of weeks now but do they do this all the time or do they eventually get a little quieter? I have other chickens but these girls started laying at 16 weeks and they free range during the day and each one goes back to the coop to lay so I can't complain!
wee.gif

Real live braggarts those leghorns... but most of mine only get noisy after they lay or if they are startled on a nest.

Hi,

This doesn't really have to do with your question, but I have one white Leghorn girl that has the most dreadful "squawk" (not really sure how to spell it, it sounds so bad). And it is loud, too! I have never heard another chicken making a noise like that!
smile.png
Genie

they started laying at 16 weeks?? really???

out of my 7 (236 Leghorns), one started at 19 weeks, and 2 more at 20 weeks, they're now 22 weeks and only 3 are laying... I'm pretty suprised and dissapointed in that.

Quote:
They have been very good so far even with the heat here. Im not sure what the hold up is with the 4th one but I'm not about to complain. My dark egg layers haven't started laying yet and they are all the same age. I got all of them in Feb and the eggs started the 1st week of June. I'm seriously considering getting more leghorns. I really didn't think I would like them at 1st but they have become quite calm (other than when getting ready to lay or just after) lol

Quote:
I can certainly see why after listening to these girls! They make a really big production about the whole egg laying thing.....1st they go in the coop and check everything out , all the while announcing to anyone within hearing distance their intentions, and then they come back out, think it over and decide everthing is ok and the whole thing starts again! This can go on 2-3 times and then finally an egg! Then she comes out and squawks to let everyone know! The first couple of times I thought something was wrong with my chickens cause they were soooo loud, I just knew something was eating them alive!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom