My less than a week old ducklings are dying and I can’t figure out why.

Bebe032206

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2021
I have successfully raised 8 ducks. I get them in sets of two so I have had some expirence. Three days ago I got two more ducklings and when I got them one of the duclings slept more than any I had before. I kept an eye on it but I didn’t think too much of it but it died the night after I got it. I was very upset and I know that ducklings don’t do good on their own so I made a quick trip and got 5 more ducklings. I was gone for no longer than an hour but when I got back I noticed the other ducking was sleeping a a lot (which it had not done previously) and it ended up dying almost exactly 24 hours after I noticed the tiredness. The ducklings I got the day the first one died all seem to be doing just fine but I am still worried this might be a disease. There was no other symptoms than excessive sleeping. I’ve googled all sorts of diseases and I can’t find anything. Im not doing anything different than I’ve done with all the other ducklings I’ve raised. I would appreciate any ideas. There heat lamp is the right temp and these duckings have the same bedding, feed, and waterer that all of the ducks I raised had and I never had a problem.

I am sorry to hear about your ducklings. It could be possible that was something in the atmosphere. Birds are far more sensitive to toxins in the air. For example, teflon pans overheated can release toxic chemicals into the air and kill birds. Especially at this time of year we are cooking more indoors and using fireplaces and such. What was your brooder set up? If the sides are high with no airflow, a an aerosol toxin is more likely to get trapped in the brooder with solid sides vs bars.

It could potentially also be overheating.

Could it be the time of year, we are heading into winter.
Maybe, there all inside tho, I also had just raised some in October and they were moved outside the day before I got the ones that died and they did just fine

I am sorry to hear about your ducklings. It could be possible that was something in the atmosphere. Birds are far more sensitive to toxins in the air. For example, teflon pans overheated can release toxic chemicals into the air and kill birds. Especially at this time of year we are cooking more indoors and using fireplaces and such. What was your brooder set up? If the sides are high with no airflow, a an aerosol toxin is more likely to get trapped in the brooder with solid sides vs bars.

It could potentially also be overheating.
They are actually in my room bedroom so the dog stays away from them, they are next to a vent but we haven’t cooked any more that any other time of the year and we don’t have a fireplace. I don’t think it’s the temperature i have a temperature gun thing and it usually sits around 85- 90. I’ll have to see about maybe making holes in the side of the tote or getting something completely different. Thank you.

They are actually in my room bedroom so the dog stays away from them, they are next to a vent but we haven’t cooked any more that any other time of the year and we don’t have a fireplace. I don’t think it’s the temperature i have a temperature gun thing and it usually sits around 85- 90. I’ll have to see about maybe making holes in the side of the tote or getting something completely different. Thank you.
Hmm. That rules out some of the obvious. I could maybe see the airvent being a problem if it was blowing hot air on them or heating the area around them. But if you have been monitoring the temperature, that is unlikely.

Did you notice any excessive head shaking or any gasping? I had chick crumble recently that was unusually hard and a duckling choked on it.

I also read about someone being given the wrong feed from a feed store. It was a layer feed, and it killed several of her ducklings and other baby fowl. She had to call the manufacturer to figure out it was the feed killing hers. If the label is not obvious on the feed, it would probably be worth just double checking.

Back
Top Bottom