my lesson's continue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by old geezer, May 20, 2011.

1. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]...a couple of weeks ago i posted how my buff-orp buttercup had her only chick hatch--and how i took the time to watch her teach that little chik the in's and out's of chickendom--[​IMG]---since then my lessons have also continued---as this was also my first baby chick---[​IMG]--i find the the lessons are a little less stringent now---i think even though willow has no pin feathers yet --buttercup is starting to ween her a tad --no longer is every bit of food or treats put in front of the baby , mom has a few nibbles for herself---she now tolerates della and dottie my delawares very close association with the babe---buffy , my other buff orp---well she's only allowed a little closeness to willow---butter cup , i haven't figured that out yet , maybe willow sometime confuses buff with mom and that dosen't set very well ??butterup now has the little one going into the chicken coop---which is quite a high hoof for the chick to get up --and even getting on the adult roost---today willow was on the jungle gym with the rest of the hens---[​IMG]--i find it fasinating that willow will jump right in the chicken pile up and squallabing with the older hens when i throw some cut up grape treats in the run--grab a grape and run for her life peeping----man----- is she fast , and could literally turn on a dime---i should have named her zippy instead of willow---so my lesson's continue---i'll up date in another 2 weeks---maybe in a couple of years , i'll learn enough from the girls , and byc members to sometimes offer advise , instead of always seeking it .[​IMG]..

2. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have Buffy and Willow Buff Orps. [​IMG]

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    That baby in with the adults must make for some great chicken TV.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    One of my BO's had a single baby this year too and yes, it did get confused a lot about who mom was hehe. Once it discovered it's mistake it would really cry! And mom came running!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by