My leukemia's back.

getaclue

Enabler
Premium member
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Central Florida
You know the scene in the movies, where the prisoner is in irons, attached to the wall of the dungeon? I'm about to order the stone, and hardware, and begin construction. Since we moved into this place, it's been an ongoing battle to get him to close the doors behind himself. It was never a problem before. He will walk out, and leave the door hanging open. I fuss, he ignores me, I shut the door.

I went out on the screened in patio, sat down in a chair, and it was a bit warm, so I got up, and went to turn the fan on. There was a black snake in the screened in patio, right next to the back screened patio door, trying to get out. I quickly went to the front screened patio door, exited, and walked around to the back one. I then opened the door, slid the metal thing, so the door would stay open, and backed up. The snake had started heading the other way, so I eased behind the snake, but the screen was between us. Slowly, I moved forward a little, talking to the snake, encouraging it to move towards the open door. It took a minute, but the snake finally slid outside slowly. When I was sure it was outside, I walked back around, and went in the front screen door, then proceeded to the back one, and closed it. I couldn't figure out how the snake got in, but then I noticed the side screen door was open.

We never use that door. When they replaced all our screening, they put new weatherstripping on the bottom of all the doors. That door, the weatherstripping is a tad too long, and catches on the stoop, so it doesn't close all the way. The auto closer isn't set too strongly, so it's not strong enough to finish closing the door. That door has been open for a day, or two at the very least. No wonder I've been complaining about mosquitoes out there at night, but nevermind them. A SNAKE got in. Fortunately it wasn't a poisonous one, and it didn't get to the shelving unit to hide. He did not blame the kids outright, but suggested that they might have used that door. The kids, and Dd #1 said he's the guilty party. At this point, I'm not going to pursue ferreting out the guilty party, but EVERYONE has been warned. If I find that door open again, I will play back the surveillance video, and take action against the guilty party, then buy, and install the appropriate hardware, to make sure it does not happen again. I draw the line at snakes in my screened in patio.

getaclue

Enabler
Premium member
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Central Florida
I agree that you need to stop beating yourself up. I don't know about there, but here, there are programs for adults with mental impairments, such as ADHD, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, etc. that they don't need constant supervision, can live on their own, but not 100% independently.

One of the programs has "life coaches" that check in on them. Depending on the need, they can be checked in on, a daily, weekly, or every other week basis. They help them with a multitude of things, such as budgeting and paying bills, shopping for groceries, check to make sure they're eating, and eating more than just junk food, doing their laundry, keeping themselves clean, sorting, and taking their meds, doctors' appointments, or whatever else is needed for them to be able to function, and live "on their own". Usually these people are on some type of disability, and can apply for the extra services to empower them.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
I think in another 3 to 5 years (the counselor was hoping 3 to 4), he will be able to fully function on his own...with just check-ins.

But we aren't there yet.

It is just very hard, since in so many ways he acts very normal, and intelligent, etc.. and then there are just some basic skills that simply will not sink in.

He is simply a complicated case.

Luckily, he is a very sweet young man.

Top Bottom