My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

We're expecting a freeze with the remote possibility of snow. <sigh> Been in the upper 90s almost all week until yesterday, when it got up to 70.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG] sorry.

3. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Me too.

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    I made the English Muffins I posted about a couple of days ago.

They are so Tasty!

Raising:

[​IMG]

Cooking on the griddle--This is half of them. I made 14 muffins this time:

[​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Beautiful muffins @ronott1 ! Have you posted that recipe on the baking thread? We love English muffins!

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    They are sourdough.

English muffins

1 envelope yeast 1 tsp. salt
    1/4 C. warm water 1 C. starter
    2 Tbl. yellow cornmeal 3/4 C. buttermilk
    22/3 C. flour 1/4 C. cornmeal

Sprinkle yeast over water. Set aside to soften 5 Minutes. Cover a large baking sheet with waxed paper. Sprinkle with 1 Tbl. cornmeal;
    set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 C. cornmeal, and salt; Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine starter, buttermilk and yeast mixture. Stir into flour mixture until well blended. Knead 5 to 8 minutes, adding flour if necessary until smooth and elastic. Roll out dough to 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut muffins with a 3" biscuit cutter or drinking glass. Arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover with cloth; let raise 45 minutes. or until doubled. Cook on medium heat in a slightly greased griddle. Turning often, cook raised muffins on medium hot griddle about 20 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cold. Makes 12 to 14 muffins.

2 people like this.
  7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thank you @ronott1 !

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    English muffins [​IMG]

We had a good day here. Honey and I went to the livestock auction and had a good time. They had way too much non-livestock, non-tack stuff selling before hand (3 hours worth!) and not many cattle, but it was still fun. Someone brought in almost 3 dozen Legbar cockerels and no one there had a clue what they were. They were sold as barred Rock and mixed breed cockerels [​IMG]. The owner of a local feed store brought in his 18 month rsl flock to sell, those poor birds looked horrible! Apparently they're confined, they all have damage from feather picking, many were doing it in the cages. Poor things. I was going to look at buying chicks from them this fall, but now I'm just not sure if that's someone I want to do business with......

They had a boar there, over 700lbs [​IMG]. So huge, but seemed to be so mild mannered. No one wanted him, they finally got $35. I know folks say the meat of a boar is no good, but for that price I was thinking about finding out for myself. The sow with him was 550lbs and went for $0.40/lb. Someone's going to have a freezer full of sausage!

Hope ya'all are enjoying the cooler weather. I'm putting boys to work again tomorrow, the blackberries are taking over.

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Kendra's hair at birth.

[​IMG]

These two were taken Thursday morning.....

[​IMG]

Friday we got fancy with a bun.
    [​IMG]

Well, say good bye to the prettiest head of hair you'll ever see on a 4 year old girl. The kids are cutting Kendra's hair next week. I'm not happy, but I've kept my mouth shut. Instead I've been taking pictures of it every morning after I get it done for the day, since I found out what they were doing. A friend on another forum asked about donating it. It is plenty long enough to donate to Locks of Love and obviously very healthy, and after seeing Ashley's struggle with her hair loss I talked to Jenny about it and she thought it was a brilliant idea. So we'll be donating it in Ashleys' name.

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Morning everyone!

Rachel...I like your new GFM title, "Hopelessly Addicted", we know what your addiction is! And you tried to say you could stop anytime, lol.

Blooie, Kendra does have beautiful hair and you fix it up so pretty. Donating it to Locks of Love is a wonderful thing to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by