My leukemia's back.

I thought I'd give an update about my grandson. All the testing was done. The psychologist, while very good, had no experience dealing with the public school system, and setting up a 504 plan. She did everything in her power to get out of calling the school, and setting it up. In fact, she called the neurologist, and asked if she could discharge him, since she had completed her therapy with him. Dd did not know all this was going on, but had not gotten the report from the neurologist, and called. They discussed what was going on, and the neurologist said she would include that the psychologist HAD to set up a 504 plan with the school, before she could discharge him as her patient.

The psychologist was NOT a happy camper at all, but was forced to comply. It all worked out wonderfully. She and the school psychologist got everything set up. The school psychologist was aware that she was unfamiliar with dealing with the schools system. He let her know that it was fairly new, so most child psychologists were still unfamiliar with the resources available through the school. After they set the plan up, the school psychologist asked if he could refer a couple students to her, and have reading materials sent to her regarding the resources available through the school system, to make it easier on her to set up any 504 plans in the future. It was done in a way, not to make her appear, or feel incompetent regarding the school system. She was very pleased about how the whole thing went.

Since the original meeting with the school, things have been being implemented to help my grandson, even though it was not official on a 504 plan. The teachers seem to be quite pleased, since they've seen good results. He's back up to par with where he should be in almost all subjects, and almost up to par in the one subject he was struggling with. They expect him to be one of the ones at the top of his class by the end of the school year.
I am happy the it is working out well!

Back
Top Bottom