My lil loner chick :(

sinistershelly

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
I bought 6 baby chicks a couple weeks ago. I was giving them some outside time separated from my older chickens to get used to each other like suggested. I was inside doing something when I heard really loud chirping like it was in the house with me. It turned out my dog had decided to dig under the run and killed 5 of my 6 chicks. I now have one 3 week old buff cochin living in a large dog crate in my living room. My 9 other BR's are only about 4 months old and very hormonal right now. What am I going to do with this poor lil baby? My local feed stores have stopped selling chicks for the year and I don't have the money to order any more baby's online with these insane shipping prices. I feel so bad for this lil baby chick. She cries all the time when any of us are out of her sight. She seems very happy to be in the crate, or ranging around in the house with us but she can't be alone or she cries. I can't put her outside, I know the other chickens and roosters will kill her along with my dumb dogs. Will she be ok being an only chicken inside? When is it a good idea to take her out to the coop with the others? Im worried about her being picked on. I don't know what to do. I dont mind her living indoors with us, Im just worried about how it'll affect her in the long run. Any advice on what you guys/gals would do in this situation? Hubby is so attached to her it's like she is one of our kids. There is no way he would ever get rid of her.

It's really difficult for chicks to be alone. Maybe you could post on the thread for your state and see if anyone has a chick they could spare. Poor baby.
sad.png

Check your Colorado thread (Where am I, Where are You) and like PP said- see if someone has a chick around the age you need. On the other hand, I had a baby turkey chick that was all alone and it can be done. She is just REALLY attached to me. I kept her in the house a looooong time. She's now just so big, she's outside and doing great.

Back
Top Bottom