My little cross breeds just hatched

Correct, he lets his chickens free range in the day all together, the reason I belived it was the same father was the others never openly mated. He was all over the hens allmost all the time.
That makes sense. Yes, the dominant rooster does most of the mating, but it's pretty common for the others to mate too-- especially when the dominant rooster cannot see them (and you might not see them either.)

The bard rock roo had some issues with its feet and could not walk far. So unlikely that it is the father.
If he had sired any chicks, they would have white barring on them, so that will be a way to know for sure about him.

The brown one could be a rode island red or a rode island red golden sex link or just a pure golden sexlink, although he or she has a crest on their head you can see it in the second photo.
I'm not seeing the crest, but that just means *I* am not seeing it.
If the chick has a crest, then it must have one parent with a crest.

Even if both parents are Golden Sexlinks, the chick would not really be a "pure" Golden Sexlink. Golden Sexlinks are a particular kind of hybrid, and crossing two of them does not give more like themselves. But I agree it might have two parents that are Golden Sexlinks.

Golden Sexlinks are typically half Rhode Island Red, so no matter exact chickens were it's parents, that chick probably has a lot of Rhode Island Red traits (definitely including color at this time.)

The black one is probably a black sexlink X bard rock, as it came out of the smallest eggs (black sexlinks tend to lay smaller eggs) and its got some barding.
I hadn't noticed that in the photos, but it is one of those things that is often easier to see in person. I was only seeing the black down with yellow in some places, and it looked to me like the pattern that is common on chicks of all-black breeds. I had not spotted a yellow spot on top of the head, or white barring in the wing feathers, which are usually the first ways to recognize barring on a chick.

now the gray one if you look for it has some wite patchs on its wings (very small though). the brown one has black stripes down its back im not sure if you can see them in the picture.
I did spot the stripes on the brown one, and light patches on the wings of the black one, and light patches on the throat of hte black one and the gray one, but I had not noticed white patches on the wings of the gray one.

As for the combs the brown one has a single
The black one its too hard to tell ill check again tomorrow
And the gray one is also to hard to tell ill get a better look at it tomorrow too
That's what I thought I saw in the pictures: single comb on the brown one, hard to tell on the others.

Now he had some blue cochin mixs but they layed white eggs not brown. But those are the only gray chickens he had. Hm he also hatched eggs from his chickens none of them where gray. Im starting to wonder if we have a fence hopper. Or maybe it was one of the cochin mixs? Maybe one of them lays brown eggs? Its the only option actually. They look like a cochin chick without feathered feet.
Did he have a rooster of the Cochin mixes? If not, I agree that if one of the Cochin mixes laid brown eggs, that would be the most likely explanation for the gray chick.

Also i dont know if this helps or not but the silver laced polish rooster was only slightly laced mostly white with some black lacing. Mainly near the wings and crest.
Interesting, but I don't think it changes which chicks he could have sired.
It could change how much pattern the chicks show as they grow up.

That makes sense. Yes, the dominant rooster does most of the mating, but it's pretty common for the others to mate too-- especially when the dominant rooster cannot see them (and you might not see them either.)

If he had sired any chicks, they would have white barring on them, so that will be a way to know for sure about him.

I'm not seeing the crest, but that just means *I* am not seeing it.
If the chick has a crest, then it must have one parent with a crest.

Even if both parents are Golden Sexlinks, the chick would not really be a "pure" Golden Sexlink. Golden Sexlinks are a particular kind of hybrid, and crossing two of them does not give more like themselves. But I agree it might have two parents that are Golden Sexlinks.

Golden Sexlinks are typically half Rhode Island Red, so no matter exact chickens were it's parents, that chick probably has a lot of Rhode Island Red traits (definitely including color at this time.)

I hadn't noticed that in the photos, but it is one of those things that is often easier to see in person. I was only seeing the black down with yellow in some places, and it looked to me like the pattern that is common on chicks of all-black breeds. I had not spotted a yellow spot on top of the head, or white barring in the wing feathers, which are usually the first ways to recognize barring on a chick.

I did spot the stripes on the brown one, and light patches on the wings of the black one, and light patches on the throat of hte black one and the gray one, but I had not noticed white patches on the wings of the gray one.

That's what I thought I saw in the pictures: single comb on the brown one, hard to tell on the others.

Did he have a rooster of the Cochin mixes? If not, I agree that if one of the Cochin mixes laid brown eggs, that would be the most likely explanation for the gray chick.

Interesting, but I don't think it changes which chicks he could have sired.
It could change how much pattern the chicks show as they grow up.
Yeah,now the other chicks seem to have single combs as well. The black one being smaller but its hard to tell at this age. The black one does not have a spot on their head but had the wing patchs. And for the gray ones white spots its more like a lighter gray near the wings the photo is a little grainy. And no only cochin hens and let me find a photo where you can see the crest on the brown one
6ED7D184-5085-4D75-83D4-A86D535A40A1.jpeg
this one shows the chicks fairy well. You cant see the crest too well though. The first picture shows it slightly bette ill try to get another one.

9E2510FC-BFC5-4515-A587-A59F8439B14F.jpeg

It showed more when they where born. Here’s another one
C9CFDEDF-4C6B-41AB-AAE2-AFF1A1584648.jpeg
now their wings are starting to get black in them
image.jpg
the gray one is crestless and is most likly ablue cochin mix heres why
image.jpg
the les are slate X yellow meaning the only birds with slate legs there (cochins) must be one of the parents. Im going to guess rode island or golden sexlink as the parent. Or maybe even the silver laced polish who knows. Nowlast but not lest the black one
image.jpg
now heres what thows me off its belly is white.
image.jpg
thats all for them.

It showed more when they where born. Here’s another one

I think I see what you are saying about the "crest" on the brown one, but I would wait until it grows feathers to be sure. A crested chick must have at least one parent with a crest. But the Silver Laced Polish is the only crested parent you have listed. He should not be able to produce a chick with red/brown color like that. So there is something confusing there.

the gray one is crestless and is most likly ablue cochin mix heres why
the les are slate X yellow meaning the only birds with slate legs there (cochins) must be one of the parents. Im going to guess rode island or golden sexlink as the parent. Or maybe even the silver laced polish who knows.
I think that leg color is just the effect of it being blue.
Black chicks get some black on the legs, and blue chicks get some blue on the legs.
I do agree that chick probably comes from a blue Cochin mix, since it has the blue color in the down.

Nowlast but not lest the black one
now heres what thows me off its belly is white.

Black chicks often do have white bellies. It's common in Black Australorps, Black Jersey Giants, Black Minorcas, and so forth.

Since that chick has no yellow on the top of the head, and no white barring on the wing feathers, it is not barred, and the Barred Rock is not the father.

Forgot to also mention that the brown one also has a white belly.
Light bellies are pretty common on many colors of chicks.

I think I see what you are saying about the "crest" on the brown one, but I would wait until it grows feathers to be sure. A crested chick must have at least one parent with a crest. But the Silver Laced Polish is the only crested parent you have listed. He should not be able to produce a chick with red/brown color like that. So there is something confusing there.

Black chicks get some black on the legs, and blue chicks get some blue on the legs.
I do agree that chick probably comes from a blue Cochin mix, since it has the blue color in the down.

Black chicks often do have white bellies. It's common in Black Australorps, Black Jersey Giants, Black Minorcas, and so forth.

Since that chick has no yellow on the top of the head, and no white barring on the wing feathers, it is not barred, and the Barred Rock is not the father.

Yeah, just wanted to fill in somethings I missed.
I will update you if I notice anything else while they feather out. And i had both rode island reds and golden sexlinks they normally dont bavewhite bellys unless its a male godlen sexlink X rodeisland. And as for the black chick black sexlinks do not have white bellys thats why I said it was odd so its probably the golden sexlink father since I dont see any markers of a crest. And the gray one we will wait and see the body shape of them when they get older. No need to respond to this. I will update in 1-2 weeks

Heres an update for you. Talked to them about fence hoppers. Guess what they had one, a pure bard rock hen. The silver laced polish was intrested in them. (Could have been another rooster who fathered them too) its their neighbors hen. Did some research found out that femlaes will be soild on their head (this chick) so its most likly a she as she/he is not barded. Heres the form https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hmmmmm-barred-plymouth-rock-polish-crested.377004/page-2
Its a different type of polish though but they look similar in color.

Heres an update for you. Talked to them about fence hoppers. Guess what they had one, a pure bard rock hen. The silver laced polish was intrested in them. (Could have been another rooster who fathered them too) its their neighbors hen. Did some research found out that femlaes will be soild on their head (this chick) so its most likly a she as she/he is not barded. Heres the form https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hmmmmm-barred-plymouth-rock-polish-crested.377004/page-2
Its a different type of polish though but they look similar in color.
Very interesting indeed!

Yes, a Barred Rock hen with any of the not-barred roosters would produce black sexlink chicks (females like your black one, males like that but with white barring.)

(But it is still possible for the black sexlink hen to be the mother of that chick. If the black sexlink is the mother, the chick could be male or female.)

Very interesting indeed!

Yes, a Barred Rock hen with any of the not-barred roosters would produce black sexlink chicks (females like your black one, males like that but with white barring.)

(But it is still possible for the black sexlink hen to be the mother of that chick. If the black sexlink is the mother, the chick could be male or female.)
The black sexlink is the mother of the chick. It came out of a black sexlink egg (they tend to be smaller eggs then bard rocks so the black chick is still a mystery. Now the gray chick did look like it came out of a bard rock egg. (The brown one hatched first out of a darker brown egg) while the gray one came out of a light brown egg allmost cream. Aka bard rock colored.

Back
Top Bottom