1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my little Dixie chick is missing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pinkwindsong, Jun 8, 2011.

1. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    hi all,

my 13 week old gold comet Dixie is missing.. two nights ago she had snuck back out of the kennel before I closed the door and realized she wasn't in it and surprised me the next morning with a big stretch...out side...
    last night when I went to close the kennel.. everyone was in there except .. Dixie... I looked everywhere couldn't find her.. even went back out at 2 am to look with flashlight again.. still no Dixie. this morning there is a puff of feathers on the ground by the back fenceline.. and No Dixie.... no body just a puff of feathers on the ground..

I fear the worst... has anyone had a chick disappear into a wooded/ pasture area and come back?

blessed be )O(
    Pink

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    puff of feathers.. sounds like a hawk or fox might have taken her. Its a longshot.. but have you tried walking around with one peeping in your hand? Sometimes a scared chick in hiding will come out to the call of a flockmate.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I realize it's a very remote chance but did your bird reappear?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by