My little egg layers are doing good

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    My pullets started laying 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have 20 pullets and I am now averageing about 18 eggs a day. Not bad, que no?

18 eggs a day x 7 days a week = 126 eggs a week

126 eggs a week for 52 weeks = 6552 eggs a year.

6552 eggs a year = 546 dozen eggs a year.

saving me about $303.33 a year for eggs at the grocery store except for the cost of feed.

Feed is costing me $22 a month (average)

$22 x 12 months equals $264 a year.

$303.33 minus $264 equals $39.33

Wow, now that I've done the math I am not saving hardly any money.

Oh well, I sure enjoy the eggs. I figured the price of eggs at $1.80 a dozen. I need to get the cost of feed down, huh? That dont even include the scratch, or running the well to water them. Man, I might be loosing money. [​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I've been giving my chickens scratch and all the left overs I have when I do (not meat and stuff of course). So its made a huge difference in feed cost.... I have to fill their bowls with pellets less and less. I've gotten our feed costs down to less then $90 a year. Are you giving them scraps and letting them free range?

Well then again, you do have a LOT of layers!

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    On the plus side, "free range" or "cage free" eggs are more expensive around here (~ $3/dz).

On the minus side, 18/20 eggs per day is probably maximum production, and will likely be less in the winter.

Hopefully you get some enjoyment out of your chickens, and the satisfaction of producing your own eggs. I know I do (and I'd better, 'cause I'm loosing money big-time! [​IMG]).

4. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I think my calculations are not right. I am gonna try it differently (like our current govt). Here goes

18 eggs a day. 18 x 7 equals 126 eggs a week. 126 eggs a week divided by 12 equals 10½ dozen eggs a week. 10 ½ dozen eggs a week @ 1.80 equals $18.90 a week worth of eggs.

$18.90 a week times 52 weeks in a year equals $982.80 a year in eggs.

So, 982.80
    - 264.00 (feed cost)

Thats better. Wheh, chickens almost got ate

Mjd

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:ROTFLMAO!!!!

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    [​IMG]

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    And unless you eat that many eggs, try selling the extras.... that adds even more savings! Course, makes the math a little harder... that's why I don't even try [​IMG]

8. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    my ladies definatly need the chicken soup talk because i have 6 pullets and i was getting 1 egg a day then it went to 3 now im back down to 1 and this is for weeks at a time ! BUT I HAVE 6 HENS ! ITS SO HARD NOT TO MAKE SOME FRIED CHICKEN !!!!

9. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:ROTFLMAO!!!!

What ¿? Is my math that bad¿?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by