My little gal died...Help!

clarmayfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I incubated/hatched 35 chicks the first of May. Most of them are about 5 weeks old.

This morning when I went out to the house, I opened the door and my one little female blue polish was laid out flat on the shavings...dead. She had no marks, did not appear to be ill at all, but was quite "flat", almost as if she had been stepped on. Since it is a spacious chicken house and tight from predators, I dont think she was run over, so to speak. what can cause this sudden death??? No others appear sick either, but now I am worried.

MBF

barnie.gif

I'm so sorry. I can't even guess what happened. I'm not that experienced. Such a sad discovery, I'm sure. Hang in there. Any chance a snake got in?

out of 50 I lost 1 to a water dish one very random death like yours.... just found it dead.... its hard to say with these things. Im sorry for your loss.

same thing happened to me and one of chicks- I think she may have been smothered. My husband shut off their brooder light (even though they were not qute amonth old) becuase the chicks are in an insulated coop/brooder and he said that the chicks were hot...(I have experience with smaller birds 'keets, etc and I know they puff up when cold).My chicks were huddled togther, noisy and puffed up... so that is how I came to my conclusion.
sad.png

I had a 2 weeker that died the same way. It was a easter egger standard. I still have no idea what happened. It may have been it just got sat on wrong and broke its neck. Who knows?

BTW I'm sorry about your girl Hon.
hugs.gif

Edited because I can't spell
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you...you all may have an idea...it got down to 50 last night, was rather chilly. Because nights had been in the 70s/80s, I forgot to put the light in - at 5-6 weeks, they should have been fine, but maybe smothered trying to get warm???

Sad...I wanted those Polish as pets...

ANYWAY, THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS...

Back
Top Bottom