1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Lowes Quick Shed Coop As Requested In The Plexiglass Thread

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cfdf, Sep 30, 2010.

1. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    We bought this shed at Lowes. It took us a day to put the structure together but it is an ongoing project....never ending project...that I just love. So here it is:

[​IMG]

This is a run we just put up. We still need to put up the hardware cloth etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This run is made using a 4' dog fence. We added on to it to make it taller using T posts. We put sunshade fabric up to protect the girls from the horrible heat we get here. I have pop doors on both sides of the coop so that the chickens can move from one side to the other. I can always close up one side when doing cleaning or if I add new chickens to the flock etc. Eventually I would like to add another run on the back side.

[​IMG]

I bought these cute little planters at Dollar General for $1.30. They were on clearance. Not real heavy duty but they work. I'm growing some Kale that I will be feeding to my chickens.

[​IMG]

My chickens roost in the rafters so to keep them from hurting themselves getting down, I put an old wood ladder in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my chicken tractor. We didn't build it. I bought it at a garage sale...new...never used

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use the tractor as a day pen. I lock all my chickens up safe and sound [​IMG] at night in the big coop. I have 8 hens and 3 roos. Their names are Oprah (BR), Whoopie (BR) , Darth(cochin bantam), Cluck Cluck(cochina Bantam), Goldie(SL), Red(RI), Peanut, Cocoa, Hoot(Americanas), Scratch(cochin bantam), and Breezy (Secrest). I would REALLY like to add some silkies to my flock. I'm trying to hold out until spring time BUT Ideal Poultry is just a hop and a skip away [​IMG] Thanks for asking to see my coop. I really enjoy my chicken TV and spending nights reading BYC. I didn't discover BYC until after we bought our shed/coop. I am always amazed at all of the creative coops on here. Looks like we're all birds of a feather [​IMG]

2. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    love it!

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    What a fun coop to go to every day [​IMG]

4. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Two great choices, lucky girl! Do you plan to put a cover over the big run? I have a fear/respect for hawks and owls. Have fun with the girls.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

NICE!! Very very nice! I'm having some coop envy here.....

6. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    I LOVE how quaint you made it !!!! The brick pavers, the little garden out front , and the window boxes are my favorites !!!! All 3 roo's get along ok ??!!?

7. cfdf

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:Right now I have poultry netting over it. It's just hard to see in the pictures. I'm not sure what will be my final covering on it yet.

8. cfdf

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:My roo's get along OK. My big roo is the alpha. My main worry about having the 3 roo's is the ratio of hens to roo's. I put the 2 cochin bantam roo's in my tractor most of the time. The weather got bad the other day so I moved them back into the big coop to stay dry. They sleep inside at night but stay in the tractor during the day. [​IMG]

9. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Good job! Very nice! [​IMG]

10. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    That's nice! I have a 10x10 kennel that I only need to attach the coop to. Right now I am going to use the chicken tractor coop but I really need to consider something larger and easier to clean. I thought by making the top easily removable that it would also be easy to clean, I even have a slot for a tray! I have to sweep up the litter before I mess with the tray and by then, what's the point.

I'm going to put a tarp down, and make a larger one. I don't have to cut corners to save weight with the kennel run. I have not seen any plans that would suit me. I need a hot weather coop, maybe with windows that close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by