My main girl stopped laying.

TwitchnChickens

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Delaware
Hello all. Our main egg layer stopped laying last week and we thought she was egg bound. But she way eating and moving around with the other girls. She was popping normally And I knew she wasn’t bound up. But we haven’t gotten any other wggs from her since. Is there’s any reason why a 2 year old hen would stop playing suddenly? We have gotten about an egg a day for the past year from her.

Is her comb still bright red, or has it faded? Can you check her for scaly leg mites, or any other parasites, maybe wipe the roost bars with paper towel to check for mites, or check her and the others? Hidden nest? That said, she is of a breed/hybrid that is an "egg laying machine", it just seems funny to all of a sudden stop.

Have there been any changes in who handles the feeding or new things added to coup? Change of feed? You all are going to laugh but my whole flock went on strike when last week I broke my leg. They ALL stopped laying. My neighbor came over to help feed. She came in the house and told me she thought they had nests in the weeds as they free range during the day. I keep the door open and they come in and lay. I am so in tune with my chickens if the door is shut for a reason like letting my fizzles get some exercise in the little fenced yard....I actually come to the coop door and ask if they want in. Open the door and the walk in and when ready they stand at the door for me to let them out. So with a broken leg I cleaned the coop, feed them gathered their eggs for one day talked to them and the very next day eggs in the nest box. I really think they missed me. So now I hobble out everyday to give them a treat no problems. But I do have dry spells if it is too hot or in the winter when the days grow shorter. I don't fret if it is for a short while. My frizzles are not laying at all right now. I will just let nature take its course. I use rooster booster in their water and worm them twice a year. They get fresh veggies and they get what ever they forge in the yard....I have almost two acres. They are healthy and happy so for now just watching and waiting. Blessings to all.

I will check for mites. The combs are red and they aren’t acting abnormally. They don’t have a hidden nest. Yes we free range the girls. We did add some new younger chickens and I think that might be why she and a few others now have stopped laying regularly.

They don’t have a hidden nest. Yes we free range the girls.
Just because you haven't found a hidden nest, doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Just because you haven't found a hidden nest, doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
These are our main girls and have always laid their eggs in the nests. Our property is fenced and they don’t have access to a secluded spot to hide a nest. I believe it might be stress from adding the new birds to our flock that stopped her from laying. I separated the new girls as they were eating the eggs we were getting. I’ll probably get rid of them and their roo.

Back
Top Bottom