My meat birds poop is STINKY! What can I do??

Fermenting their feed and feeding that mash really made a difference for my birds. Use a 5 gal pail, add 4 qt feed, fill with water towithin 2 inches of top and add 1/4 cup unpasturized apple cider vinegar. Stir 2-3 times a day for 4 days, then feed out 1/3. split the remaining amt between 2 5 gal pails. add feed, and fill with water and stir. use one a day while the other is brewing. I also fed dry as needed but overall had much better poo and less stink.

Doesn't reduce the poo though-- cornish x eat a LOT and poo a lot.

x2 This is the perfect way to cut down on smell as well as keep them healthy. Feed in 5' rain gutter thats stabilized. Easy peasy.
celebrate.gif

Is fermenting their feed good for egg layers as well or just meat birds? Just wondering.

We feed in one of those standard metal chicken troughs with the spinner on it. Our watering system is a sort of trough made out of five or six inch pvc pipe with end caps on it; we fill it from the five gallon pail that sits over it on the chicken tractor. we were going to go with the nipple waterers until we observed that the chickens like to be able to dip their whole beak in the water. To clean it we just give it a shake and a swish and fill with clean water. my hubby attached a valve with a handle that can be open, closed or half way between to let out a bit of a trickle. Not perfect but works so far.

Is fermenting their feed good for egg layers as well or just meat birds? Just wondering.

We feed in one of those standard metal chicken troughs with the spinner on it. Our watering system is a sort of trough made out of five or six inch pvc pipe with end caps on it; we fill it from the five gallon pail that sits over it on the chicken tractor. we were going to go with the nipple waterers until we observed that the chickens like to be able to dip their whole beak in the water. To clean it we just give it a shake and a swish and fill with clean water. my hubby attached a valve with a handle that can be open, closed or half way between to let out a bit of a trickle. Not perfect but works so far.

I've had my pullets on Fermented feed since day one. There is a thread about Ferment feed for your layers or something. To feed fermented feed you can get a rain gutter and cut it in half. That gives you 2 5' feeders. Stabilize with a plank on the end I have a wooden trough but it's too big for my coop 6' long and not really needed for 14 birds. However, I have 13 12 day olds in a smaller coop and 33 in the 'bator. Gotta find more room. Six of my pullets are Golden Comets and will start laying w/i a month.

Back
Top Bottom