My Meyer Hatchery Fuzzy Butts Are Here!! Picture Heavy!!!

Wildflower_VA

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Raphine VA, Augusta County
My order of 33 chicks arrived at the post office at 9 o'clock this morning. I had been really worried about them making it in this heat. All of them were fine but one little Cornish cross was dead in the box. They had all the Cornish crosses on the other side of a divider except this one. One of the speckled Sussex only has one eye open and the other one doesn't look crusted shut. Anyway, other than having to fix a pasty butt, they have settled in really well for now.

My to-go box of chicken
100_9534-1.jpg

A whole mess of baby chicks
100_9538-1.jpg

Baby barred rock thinks the top of the pile is a soft place to sit!
100_9562-1.jpg

Here's my fuzzy butt--go on, take a picture, you know you want to!
100_9553-1.jpg

Baby chick an hour out of the box, already taking a sunbath
100_9564-1.jpg

Cute little speckled sussex
100_9566-1.jpg

Quote:
The first batch is Sav-a-Chick. It was easier to mix up quickly when I got the call from the post office early this morning. Next change of water I will use Broiler Max electrolytes.

My first batch of chicks was only six, so I was in a quandary about how much room 33 chicks would take, so I thought the swimming pool would work well the first few days. 11 of the chicks are Cornish crosses, so they will have to be separated after the first few days. The pool will give me time to decide how to set up the two separate brooders and how to manage 32 chicks until they are ready to go outside.

Oh My Gosh, ADORABLE!
jumpy.gif
What breeds did you get? And I love the pool idea.
lau.gif
I use an old toy horse barn for mine, it has doors that swing open and all
tongue.png
I'm thinking about ordering from Meyers, too. Just don't know what to get.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! They are sooo cute! It makes me excited to get mine! I have a bigger pool to put mine in, but it's the same type! So excited for you!! They are adorable!
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
I got 11 barred rocks, 5 buff orpingtons, 5 speckled sussex and 12 cornish crosses (one was dead). I had always intended to order from McMurray, but they didn't have the speckled sussex when it came time to order, so I switched to Meyer. Plus, in this heat, Meyer is less than half the distance the chicks would have to travel from McMurray. I am very pleased with every aspect of ordering from Meyer, and they were cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom