1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My missing hen has returned!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinchelsea, Oct 10, 2011.

1. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    About a week ago, I suddenly realized one of my dark cornish hens was missing. I thought for sure a raccoon must have gotten her, we haven't had problems with predators in the past but since it's fall and crops are being harvested all around our yard the creatures have been on the move. So since then I've been locking up my girls at night. Last night I locked them up and counted them, and all 18 were inside. this morning when I went out to let them outside, my missing hen was out in the run looking VERY thin! [​IMG] She must have gotten out of the run and been out in the cornfield the whole time! She went right in to eat and drink.

She appears to be okay, but should I feed her anything special to put weight back on her? I'm assuming she won't be laying as well in her condition if she hasn't had enough food or water for the past week. I'm so happy she's back and to know we didn't have a predator but I'm so worried about her!

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am so happy your hen returned.[​IMG] I would fix her up some scramble eggs and welcome her home.

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you got her back safe and sound. If she's out of condition, and it sounds as if she is, I get some Apple Cider Vinegar and put it in their water as directed (from a poultry supplies shop, not the stuff you buy in a supermarket). ACV is a good general tonic. I'd also offer her some plain live yoghurt to give her a protein boost. I'm not a fan of giving them eggs in any form - but everyone's different.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwwwwww. So glad that she is back.

5. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

I'm glad she found her way back to you! [​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Lets have a party. How great is that.

7. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Love it when that happens!

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH HAPPY ENDINGS! Maybe a special treat for her......Something yummy with lots of protein......Scrambled eggs?

9. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    So glad your girl returned safely......[​IMG]

10. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Ugh- what the heck? I went out this evening to check on my girls again and she was GONE!!! Why would she do that? [​IMG] I walked all around the cornfield calling for her but no luck. She should know I worry sick about my babies. [​IMG] I need to get some electric fence!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by