My missing hen has returned!

erinchelsea

Songster
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Webster City, IA
About a week ago, I suddenly realized one of my dark cornish hens was missing. I thought for sure a raccoon must have gotten her, we haven't had problems with predators in the past but since it's fall and crops are being harvested all around our yard the creatures have been on the move. So since then I've been locking up my girls at night. Last night I locked them up and counted them, and all 18 were inside. this morning when I went out to let them outside, my missing hen was out in the run looking VERY thin!
wee.gif
She must have gotten out of the run and been out in the cornfield the whole time! She went right in to eat and drink.

She appears to be okay, but should I feed her anything special to put weight back on her? I'm assuming she won't be laying as well in her condition if she hasn't had enough food or water for the past week. I'm so happy she's back and to know we didn't have a predator but I'm so worried about her!

Glad you got her back safe and sound. If she's out of condition, and it sounds as if she is, I get some Apple Cider Vinegar and put it in their water as directed (from a poultry supplies shop, not the stuff you buy in a supermarket). ACV is a good general tonic. I'd also offer her some plain live yoghurt to give her a protein boost. I'm not a fan of giving them eggs in any form - but everyone's different.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

Ugh- what the heck? I went out this evening to check on my girls again and she was GONE!!! Why would she do that?
hit.gif
I walked all around the cornfield calling for her but no luck. She should know I worry sick about my babies.
barnie.gif
I need to get some electric fence!

Back
Top Bottom