My Muscovy Duck flew away this morning.... :(

Jackeltree

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
I have one Muscovy Duck. I've had her for a year and a half and she's very sweet and lets me pet her. She lives with a flock of chickens and they are often cooped up, but I let them out a lot as well and they all stay in the yard. Last summer, and then again last Friday, the neighbor's stupid dog came over and attacked the flock and the duck flew away. We live uphill and across the street from the Hudson River, with a road and lots of trees in between. There's also a canal between the trees and the river with a strip of land separating the bodies of water. We managed to get her back both times with great effort. This morning I let the flock out and the duck didn't waste much time flying over the trees and into the river. :( I was afraid to clip her wings in case of another dog attack...but now I wish I did. The two other times she flew away she was fleeing direct danger...but now I think the water was calling to her. I have to work today so I can't go after her until tomorrow maybe...I've been sick and had to wade in the water to get her back the other day...I really don't want to have to do that again.
The question is...what are the chances she'll come back on her own? It's winter in upstate NY and it's freezing cold. The canal is frozen but the river isn't and we're supposed to get snow this afternoon. My house is uphill from the river with trees in between...I feel like flying downhill is always easier than flying uphill....easier to fly away than to fly home perhaps.

What do you think??? :(

-Crystal

So sorry, I remember the distress when my duck flew away.
hugs.gif
I had a Peking that loved the natural river than we lived on. She would fly away and then return the same day up to a couple of days to a week later. Being that it's winter and she's been there a few times she may return on her own. Mine did this for over a year but one spring mating season she didn't return. I think that she found a mate and went on to raise her babies in the wild.

Thank you bridebeliever! This makes me feel better. I know she likes it here....but I don't blame her for wanting to take a nice long swim. Fingers crossed she'll want to come back! I suppose there's also the thought that maybe she's free to go where she wants. She's not really a nuisance I don't think. I just hope she knows how to get back if she wants. Hopefully your duck is/was living the way she wanted!

Thank you bridebeliever! This makes me feel better. I know she likes it here....but I don't blame her for wanting to take a nice long swim. Fingers crossed she'll want to come back! I suppose there's also the thought that maybe she's free to go where she wants. She's not really a nuisance I don't think. I just hope she knows how to get back if she wants. Hopefully your duck is/was living the way she wanted!
Yes, I believe my little Pokey just went on to live a ducks life and that's what I would've wanted for her. She was a wonderful pet while I had her. She was the first duck I ever owned (at around 11 years old). I went on to raise other ducks but they were never as special as her. When you can, go down to the river with her special treats and see if you can see her. Call her, she'll know your voice. If she's hungry she'll come. It's good she has such excellent predator response, so she'll stay safe out there.

Thanks....I'm going to do that...maybe tomorrow I can make it down there after work. I wish it didn't get dark so early!! If I manage to get her back I'll let you know. :)

Looked for twice two and three days ago. Didn't see her. :( Lots of mallards on the shore and whitish ducks in the distance (thought it might be her, but then I saw more than one). Sigh...hopefully she's happy wherever she is! :(

Back
Top Bottom