My muscovy ducklings are eating eachothers feathers!

Duck_life

Duck Addict
May 14, 2019
Woods of PA
ok so, I did look up on this but nothing works!!! they have enough spaced plenty of grass and are healthy! I am scared one well end up getting an infection from how bad its getting. the bite marks are horrible!!! they do it like everyday and when I remove the bully she just became so depressed and it didn't help because the others started doing it. one got so bad I had to remove her and put some med spray so the wound wouldn't get infected. now today I put her back with her sisters but it just turned into a huge mess!! blood everywhere... every duck was bleeding horrifically! I do spray them so they don't get infected and I am going to my local chicken and duck breeder to ask them because that is where I get all my ducks. just need a second opinion.. thanks!

I have a gosling who was doing that. I was advised (on here) to try giving oats with their feed and to spray them with Bitter Apple spray (sold to stop puppies from chewing). I had isolated the bad girl immediately and like yours, she didn’t take it well. After a day I put her back in. First thing, she grabbed and ate a feather. Sister screamed—it really hurts, apparently. I snatched her right back out then got on here and asked for advice.

She stayed in isolation for two more days until we got to town & bought oats and spray. Then one more day because the weather was awful and I didn’t want to deal with it. Finally I sprayed sisters & brother (and her too, in case) I noticed her nibbling her oats, which was especially good news since she hadn’t been eating. I put her back in. She stole two down feathers that were falling off. After that, absolutely nothing. It’s been a couple or three weeks. I wouldn’t know which one she even is except that I banded her leg.

Try it... hopefully it will do some good. Your situation sounds like it’s kind of gotten out of hand, but give it a shot. It’s worth trying, I think. :fl

ok, they eat a duckling and starter food, I give them some corn chopped into pieces (dried corn) and I gave them lettuce yesterday. I also gave them tinfoil balls to play with so they don't get bored well update you on what they are doing now.. cant send pic as im messaging on my computer.. sorry! and I will try the oats! thanks for the tips

ok, they eat a duckling and starter food, I give them some corn chopped into pieces (dried corn) and I gave them lettuce yesterday. I also gave them tinfoil balls to play with so they don't get bored well update you on what they are doing now.. cant send pic as im messaging on my computer.. sorry! and I will try the oats! thanks for the tips
Stop with the tinfoil balls...Dangerous if eaten...

Back
Top Bottom