My Mystery Additions

FionasFam

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
I had started this thread in the wrong section so am reposting here. I didn't see an option to delete the other thread, so apologize for the double post.

We got chicks just over a week ago from a feed store and they were horribly labeled. Supposedly, all but one were born on 3/12. The one who wasn't was supposedly born on 3/14 but she is much larger than the others. She was also the only one not labeled as a silkie even though several are quite obviously not silkies (pretty sure only three are). She is labeled as am Ameracauna which is probably an Easter Egger?
I have taken some pictures and am hoping that some of you might be able to help me figure out breed and gender. Thanks ahead of time for your help! Their current names are just temporary until we are sure of what they are. I apologize for the poop, but that box was the quickest thing I could find to get pictures of the individuals in.

This is Alexandra

Audrey

Attila - the largest other than Elizabeth

Elizabeth and I think that is Alexandra, but it could be Audrey. I was trying to show size difference, but Elizabeth just wanted to settle down instead of stand.

Please tell me that Elizabeth is a chicken and not a turkey. She is quite a bit bigger than the others even though she was supposedly born 2 days later. She is very sweet and social. Last night she even flew out of the brooder to sit in my lap and be petted. The feed store labeled her as an Ameracauna. I am only assuming she is a she!

Here we have Gandalf

This is Fabio. He is a bossy little bugger with the others.

This is Morgana. She is pretty mellow, but man was she noisy when I was taking her picture! It surprised me.

This is Victoria. Might be a male, but I really don't know. She is really aggressive kicking those legs around on the ground.

Thank you!

Those are the three that I thought were silkies. I am glad to have it confirmed.

Glad I could help
smile.png

Well your Elizabeth looks a lot like my current head rooster, an EE, did at that age. He was always significantly bigger than the other chicks, and I ordered them through the mail so I assume they were all hatched at the same time. He was so much bigger, that we called him Biggus Chickus and now just Biggus since he's a fully grown roo. Some of our newest batch are bigger than he is now, so the initial size doesn't seem to necessarily persist into adulthood.

I am very relieved there are no turkeys! One thing at a time LOL

We took the chicks outside for the first time today to give them a supervised visit with the dirt, grass, and insects. They really seemed to enjoy it. Elizabeth was going nuts over insects! She really seems a lot more developed than the others. They must have had her birth date wrong because she has beautiful feathers and flies out of the brooder box in addition to being so much larger.
Elizabeth might be an Elliot though. I have strong suspicions that our white silkie, Fabio, is a rooster. While outside, Elizabeth and Fabio had some confrontations with another. Wings were flapping all over the place.

What do you think? Is Fabio male?

I call that last pic "What's up, Chicken Butt?"

Cute bunch! Fabio, could be a boy, but silkies are apparently hard to sex early on/in general. I've got 8 chicks and I'm pretty confident that I've got 7 hens and they all have little stand offs and flap at eachother (very entertaining to watch!), so I wouldn't only judge 'him' by that! Give them a couple of weeks and take individual photos of them up. People have been helpful with mine. I find if you pick them up and take them away from their friends they sit a little still for a good photo (probably in their panicked state lol)

Back
Top Bottom