My neighbors chickens are constantly in my yard ....

I'm sorry.....a person's home is his castle. We work and dream and plan to own our own property and once we do....we deserve to have our rights to that piece of the world respected.
I would not be fine with this at all. I have dogs and I would not want their freedom limited due to the possibility of uninvited people or chickens being in my yard. It's a nuisance and it's eroding your peace in your own home! I strongly believe in confronting kindly and clearly.
I would be going over to say "I'm sorry, I'm sure you aren't aware of the fact that your chickens are causing us stress. We will appreciate it very much if you would keep them off of our property so that we won't have to explore other options. Thank you for understanding." I agree with the person who suggested writing to them. I find that people get offended and answer too quickly but a letter allows them to reread, discuss, and reflect. Do not put up with this....everyone needs to keep their animals on their own property!! Good luck we support your decision to resolve this issue.

Interesting to hear different people's ideas.
We're in the boonies and rednecks galore. Most do have no trespass signs. Just a twisted sense of protection from prosecution if need be to shoot someone.
Letter writing and such will be viewed as ones way of exposing ones mangina. No red blooded American would go that route. A man walks over and says his piece if he wants any respect around here.
Same for calling john law. To do that would amount to same as hanging your nut sack on your front gate.
As for trespassing kids if they aren't doing something stupid or something risking themselves most don't mind. If they're causing problems or risking injuries you go out and play the crazy hillbilly act and theyre most often smart enough or scared enough to leave and not repeat.
Often won't report to parents for fear of getting hammered at home for screwing up. If they decide to then its on their dad to walk over and be a man and see whats up. That usually ends up in a barbeque or bonfire affair.
Life is easy out here.

Sounds like your real issue is the boy coming onto your property, not the chickens...
I am having same issues with a “renter” of a property behind my house. She has been letting the chickens free range and they are coming onto my property. I nicely asked her to contain them on that property to no avail. After two weeks of absolutely no response and making no effort, I contacted county to see if she could have chickens back there and tell him that they are free ranging in my yard…was told she can have them but they are to be kept on her rental property and County would take care of the problem…I messaged the property owner to give him heads up that I called county. Owner presented his tenant with a copy of what I had sent him and she sent me scathing text message and said she may seek legal action against me for defamation of character? There’s some more to this but all I asked of her was to keep the damn chickens off of my property! No respect. I’ve lived here since 1988 and now some tenant is trying to cause problems? Not acceptable!

They are being inconsiderate, but do the parents even know the kid is coming into your lawn? It's silly to think he's canvassing your house, so I hope you are joking. If you are serious, you can get surveillance cameras for less than $50 to ease your
Except they said the boy is “looking for the chickens when they are clearly on his property.” I don’t know about you, but i would be bugged out if someone was on my property looking for an animal that’s clearly on their own property.

Kids are sneaky now and days. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: oops i just realized this was from like 3 years ago lol

Except they said the boy is “looking for the chickens when they are clearly on his property.” I don’t know about you, but i would be bugged out if someone was on my property looking for an animal that’s clearly on their own property.

Kids are sneaky now and days. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: oops i just realized this was from like 3 years ago lol
I’d be bugged, but teenagers often don’t know what’s polite or not in their new area until they’re told. That’s how they learn.

I’m constantly having kids cut across my yard to get to the park. Destroyed some new grass seed one year, another year picked my flowers. I just spoke nicely to the kids and they didn’t do it again.

People forget teenage boys are children unless you’re raising a teenage boy. They look like men, but they really aren’t. The kid has a problem (lost chicken) and is solving it the simplest way in his mind. I’m sure he’s not casing out your property. It may have been common where he used to live to not respect boundary lines without a fence.

Where I grew up, if you didn’t want kids walking through your property on their way to school, you put up a fence. It’s very regional. Just like if it’s more polite to speak face to face or write a letter. I’d think if someone wrote me a letter or reported me to the law or hoa without speaking with me that they were very rude and inherently hostile.

Neighbors will always have small disputes. Solve it before you get so angry you’re leaving nasty messages.

Good fences make good neighbors. Put up a privacy fence.
Good neighbours make fences unnecessary.

My neighbors don’t mind at all if my chickens come to visit their backyard once in a while. They all enjoy the look of the chickens searching for insects (and thicks) in the grass/gardens. They do no more harm to their garden than the pigeons and other wild birds.

I’m on speaking terms with all of them and I always locked them in or supervised thoroughly when there was a reason for it. Like when the neighbors made a new fruit/veggy garden. When other neighbors used fertiliser on their lawn they even send a message to keep the chickens away for a few days to avoid any health issues. .

What's wrong with chickens wandering around? I have maybe 10-20 chickens right now that wander maybe 300 feet beyond my land every day. All of my neighbors seem to like them

Periodically the wanderers die, but I figure that's just harmless natural selection

I'm fully aware this is a thread that some necromancer raised

I’d be bugged, but teenagers often don’t know what’s polite or not in their new area until they’re told. That’s how they learn.

I’m constantly having kids cut across my yard to get to the park. Destroyed some new grass seed one year, another year picked my flowers. I just spoke nicely to the kids and they didn’t do it again.

People forget teenage boys are children unless you’re raising a teenage boy. They look like men, but they really aren’t. The kid has a problem (lost chicken) and is solving it the simplest way in his mind. I’m sure he’s not casing out your property. It may have been common where he used to live to not respect boundary lines without a fence.

Where I grew up, if you didn’t want kids walking through your property on their way to school, you put up a fence. It’s very regional. Just like if it’s more polite to speak face to face or write a letter. I’d think if someone wrote me a letter or reported me to the law or hoa without speaking with me that they were very rude and inherently hostile.

Neighbors will always have small disputes. Solve it before you get so angry you’re leaving nasty messages.
Think you replied to the wrong person 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom