My Neighbors Kid.... Grrr.

PineBurrowPeeps

Eye see you...
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere...
So I haven't been on BYC for a couple of days. Been getting aquainted with my new goats. Who for the first day they were here did nothing but cry because they missed their herd.

So day two of goats being here we lose our power due to a downed tree. We have well water. Without power, there is no water.
So we get told that power will be up the next day. We decide to stay in a hotel for the night. I am packing up my things and my kids and DH's things and the neighbor's 8 year old girl asks my daughter if she can come over and see the new goats. I tell my DD (who is 7) that now is not a good time because I was packing and could not be out there to supervise. I hear DD tell this girl what I said and then I went on packing our stuff for the trip with the intention of asking her over to see the goats when we were on our way out and all set.

The next thing I know my DD comes running into my bedroom to tell me that she caught the girl with her older cousin or friend inside my goat pen with the goats!
When DD confronted her they blew her off and the older girl said it was fine that "she knows all about goats"!
Knowing about goats was not the point!
somad.gif
I am still fuming about this now. I cannot believe this girl would go into a small pen with two animals that she has never met before. How stupid of her! Not to mention that one of the goats isn't mine, and is a loaner from the breeder as a companion to the one I purchased until my second goat can come home. She is a very valuable show quality goat that the breeder has very high hopes for, and she tries to get out every chance she gets. If something had happened to her.... I shudder to think of it.
I cannot believe the audacity they had to waltz onto my property and mess with my animals.
I immeadiately padlocked the goat pen which has a 6 foot high fence that I doubt they are climbing over.
This girl has been a bad influence on my daughter a couple of times. When we moved in here a year and a half ago we were so thrilled that another little girl lived across the street for DD to play with. But within a week of playing with the neighbors girl my then 6 year old DD was coming home talking about make-up, and what clothing to wear that would make boys like her more!
th.gif

I was floored. We talked to her parents who are really nice people who we get along great with, and they were very apologetic and basically blamed it on a couple of older cousins she hung around with and the local public school system. We didn't let her hang around with this girl very often after that (we homeschool, so they don't go to school together). Occasionally she would ask my daughter over to play, but ONLY if she didn't have a friend over already and she has literally sent my daughter in tears because she asked her over and then sent her home so she could have another friend come over instead. Everything is a competition with this girl too. She is always rubbing it in my daughters face how she tons of brand new toys and clothes. So I basically stopped them seeing eachother alltogether.
But it's nearly impossible when you live right across the street from eachother.
I just couldn't believe the whole goat thing and had no clue how to react other than padlocking the pen. So sad that I should even have to do that.

what a jerk!
we had that same problem...we put a lock on the gate but i am sure your situation is way more difficult. i would loudly tell this child that she had better NOT even think of stepping foot in your yard again or else.
now since she cant get into my yard, my neighbor kid hangs over the side of her side of the fence and chants "goats goats goats!!" for hours at a time just to make the goats cry out..i hate neighbors!

I'd tell her mother that if her little one is going to insist on being in the goat pen she needs to be over. Maybe getting mom off her butt and seeing your frustration will help curtail some of her own doaughters actions. I don't blame you for one second for not wanting your dd to hang around her She sounds mean and bratty from what you posted. I am sorry you had to deal with theknow-it-all kiddo too.

You stopped too soon. The padlocking was a great start, but you should STILL go talk to the girl's parents, tell them what happened, explain why it could have ended VERY badly, and make sure they understand the girl is NOT to be on your property AT ALL without YOUR supervision! (and if you don't have the time or inclination to supervise said child, then so be it!) What if you'd had a mean adult goat in there that she didn't see? What if there had been a huge aggressive rooster she didn't see? What if.... If anything had happened to hurt her physically, you would probably be held liable, even if she was there w/o your knowledge or permission. Sad, but true (depending on where you live & your individual laws). Protect yourself by putting up a fence if you can; if not, make sure Sweetie stays off your property.
smile.png

I for one would not let me child over to her house. If your D really wants to spend time with the child, I would invite her over to MY house, and she has to follow MY rules. Period. If she doesn't send her home. Tell the parents why too.

Quote:
I know I need to say something to them about this, I just don't really know how to go about it.

I also don't know what my DD sees in this girl. She will fight me tooth and nail and cry and throw a fit if I tell her she cannot go over her house (which I do anyway, crying isn't going to get my DD anyway) but this girl treats my DD like crud from what I see. DH and I have told her that she is so much better than that and does not deserve to be treated like a disposable friend. She seems to "get it" but just still wants to play with her! So frustrating!

We had a similar situation with our neighbor's children. They were sent home until the parents came over to "speak" to us.. This went on for about a year and a half, in which time I spoke at length to the Mother about her DD's behavior. As long as I felt like they were trying to work on the "problem" (as she openly admitted she couldn't control her own child), I was willing to police them at my house with my rules. Mistakenly believing that the parents were also working to correct the problem. (I might also add I was extremely chronically ill at the time.) The school counselor suggested I act as a mentor to this child as to proper behavior (so I was trying to help her.)

Then I began to notice that my daughter was exhibiting stress issues related to this child. One day the child and her brother were outside playing with my DD and some other neighbor kids, acted up and I sent them home one after the other for various offenses. I looked out 10 minutes later and they were both back! I'm here to tell you, if I send you home you go home and stay home, I don't mess around. So I told them to leave and not come back ever.

Then there was the discussion with the parents.. not good! But the upshot was their DD was to never, and I mean never come back over (we live right next to each other). Wasn't pretty at all I can tell you. (DH doesn't mess around.) However, I did notice that everyone has been much happier around here. I don't have to "police" another child and my daughter has been infinitely happier. It was a bit rough in the beginning with the other parents but now they don't speak to us, we don't speak to them, and you know it's been great.

I was willing to try to help this child (and parents) when I thought they were seriously trying to change her behavior. However, if they aren't going to put in an effort, then it's their problem on their time. We have strict rules here and I expect all the children in the neighborhood to follow them when over.

Although the "neighborhood break-up" was not pretty at first it's been much better for us all in the end.

I agree that a conversation between parents needs to happen.
But..
What gets me the most about this whole situation is that we're (as a society) at a point where it must be assumed that we'll have to explain to another parent *why* what his child did is inappropriate and unacceptable.
th.gif

Remember the days when a kid who was dumb enough to do something wrong got in trouble at your house..and then when they got home and their parents found out what they did, they got in more trouble?!
None of that came with an explanation. You did wrong, you knew it and then you suffered for it.

Back
Top Bottom