My neighbors

WindingRoad

Crowing
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
were very responsible for putting up a fence for their Great Danes when I told them I was getting chickens. The fence is about 5'. The other day I was outside and looked at my BO and ISABrown. I couldn't tell at first if they were on my side of the fence or the other side. I ran over there and sure enough they were on the wrong side of the fence. I panicked. I ran down the line of the fence and found a small area where the fence wasn't pushed into the ground. I managed to get them to come to me. Thank God for mealworms. I managed to bend the wire fencing enough to snatch them over to my side. I thought I had broken the BO's wing. And she put her head through the fence. I got her on my side and then pushed the fencing down as much as I could. Got a couple of big rocks and a 6 inch broad to prop up. About 5 minutes after I rescued them here come the dogs out. I was so happy I got them out. Sally, my BO was really PO'd at me. I managed to pick her up a apologize to her and tell her I was just protecting her. Close call.

I did some more investigating and found a tree limb about 5-6 inches around that I think they climb thinking it was a roost, but it allowed them to fly into the dogs yard. I sure took that limb down quickly and walked the fence line looking for other. Just a heads up for others to be aware of the escape artists our chickens can be. The fence is parallel to the tree line. Be careful check your fence lines.

I would be watching for them jumping it too.

My big fat BO likes to try and roost on a trellis that is 6' straight up with nothing to help her get there.

I have had lighter birds come over the 8.5' tall coop with no launch area just to see if I brought treats.

:th
The fence has been up since last August and they've never gotten over it before. I'm tempted to clip some wings but I don't really want to. My BIL is selling me a very nice shed that I can make into a new coop. 10'x8'. Needs roosts, poop boards, vents on all four sides, nests etc. Only $200 and that's transportation to boot. Can't turn that down.

I'm keeping a closer eye on them..They stay mostly around their coop or at the back door pecking to get in the house. That ain't happening they poop too much. LOL

You have some well behaved chickens to be kept home by a 5' fence!!! My chickens roost about 3x that high in the trees at night

We clip one wing on each of our birds. They free range for part of each day, from about 3:30 in the afternoon until dusk, but don't wander far. We have about 10 acres. Hawks are not a problem (there are crows) and our Sheltie keeps an eye out for coyotes, so them not being able to fly is not an issue as far as predators is concerned. It keeps them from sailing over the fence into the pasture where the grass is shoulder-high, and snakes and coyotes would almost surely be a problem.

My EE hen was stalking the neighbors fence, thank goodness that squirrel stayed on the other side lol. I never let them go that far over (supervised free ranging). Neither of my neighbors have dogs, but I'm always afraid something will try to snatch them up. I am so relieved your two were ok!

Back
Top Bottom