My neighbour has complained 😔

My next door neighbour even cut my fence down and burned it and I said I'd replace it, rather than him, just to keep the peace.
😳 How dare they?! So it might be them complaining about the rooster, as obviously they prefer to take immediate "selfadministered justice" instead of having a reasonable conversation with their neighbours.

I've just got a letter from the local council saying a neighbour has complained about my early morning crowing cockerel.

I've kept chickens here for 15 years and no complaints until now. I'm really annoyed and disappointed that they didn't come to me first to talk about it rather than go straight to the local noise police.

I live in a rural community where the houses are fairly close together in a village, but there are fields all around and 2 working farms within 100 yards! I'm also not the only chicken keeper here.

Any tips for handling the situation?

I want to knock on all my neighbours' doors and ask if it was them and what I can do to resolve it. Not sure that is a good idea.

I've had this particular silkie rooster for 5 years and he isn't especially noisy. I've got chicks growing out and some of them are cockerels, so they will be crowing until I find new homes. And I wanted to keep one little bantam.

I've listed my rooster online for sale. Sad to break up the lovely flock I've got. He is great with the hens. Am I being too hasty?

Is it realistic to shut him in a dark box every night instead?

Is your rooster legal?

If so, the complaint should be dismissed.

😳 How dare they?! So it might be them complaining about the rooster, as obviously they prefer to take immediate "selfadministered justice" instead of having a reasonable conversation with their neighbours.
It might be. He told me the fence was rotten (it wasn't) but I don't understand how he took it down without thinking of asking me. Now until I get the fence replaced, my front garden is open to his and I can't let my dogs out there or they will run out onto the road.

It might be. He told me the fence was rotten (it wasn't) but I don't understand how he took it down without thinking of asking me. Now until I get the fence replaced, my front garden is open to his and I can't let my dogs out there or they will run out onto the road.

Its not about whether he is legal, we have laws here that say we can't cause a noise nuisance, whatever the source of the noise.
Are there different rules for different times? Maybe daytime crowing would be allowed, but you might keep the rooster in your house for the night?

I'm worried I might be forced to get rid of my whole flock because of this. 😟

How are the rules written? If they tell a particular way to measure the noise, you can check and see if your hens are quiet enough.

Some laws list a certain number of decibels, or say that the noise cannot be heard in other houses if the houses have the doors and windows closed, or something like that. And then some laws just go by whether someone finds it bothersome, which would leave you stuck with whatever the neighbor chooses to tolerate or not tolerate.

Are there different rules for different times? Maybe daytime crowing would be allowed, but you might keep the rooster in your house for the night?

How are the rules written? If they tell a particular way to measure the noise, you can check and see if your hens are quiet enough.

Some laws list a certain number of decibels, or say that the noise cannot be heard in other houses if the houses have the doors and windows closed, or something like that. And then some laws just go by whether someone finds it bothersome, which would leave you stuck with whatever the neighbor chooses to tolerate or not tolerate.
That is really helpful, thank you. I need to do some research and see exactly where I stand.

I am still hoping I can provide reassurance and smooth the waters, but I need facts to back me up too.

I had an email back and I think I know which neighbour it might be. I'm really surprised because I have asked them specifically if my chickens bother them and they've said no, they love hearing them as they remind them of when their grandparents had chickens!

I would guess whoever is complaining is someone new to the neighborhood. If it's the neighbor who took down your fence I'd complain to the council about him damaging your property. Even if the fence had been rotten, it's not his fence. Complaining is a step toward having him pay to replace it. More importantly, it lets the neighbor know that you aren't a pushover and if he's going to try to use the law to harass you you're willing to push back.

The guy is a jerk and accommodating him will validate his behavior. You'll have to take a stand and draw the line somewhere. Might as well do it now before you've surrendered any ground. If you aren't the only neighbor with a rooster but you are the only one he's complaining about it's personal. If he's complaining about all the roosters then you have allies. Check with the other chicken owners and work on a collective response to the complaint.

Just because your neighbor is complaining and playing the victim doesn't make her right. Especially since modern homes are so well insulated you can't hear crowing when you're indoors. Even if her name is Karen she still has to prove her case. If she's the only one complaining and the rest of your neighbors will confirm it's not a problem for them I can't think that any council should go out of their way to accommodate just your neighbor. If they do, you can complain that his mower or his children or whatever is too loud.

If these neighbors started by complaining to the council, they aren't interested in being good neighbors or accommodating you. They just want to get their way. Fight to maintain what you have not because the neighbor is a jerk, but because you're fine with the way things are and you shouldn't have to change for people new to the neighborhood. JMO.

Its not about whether he is legal, we have laws here that say we can't cause a noise nuisance, whatever the source of the noise.

I'm worried I might be forced to get rid of my whole flock because of this. 😟

You need to know your EXACT legal rights.

Surely your government doesn't run based on the tyranny of the most easily offended.

Back
Top Bottom