1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My neighbour needs help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickathon, Feb 20, 2013.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    My neighbour is a nice guy. I recently (last summer) gave him some chicks I hatched from my bator to start him a flock. This fall a couple of his pullets came up with some weird issues. They are lethargic and after a while their toes start to curl up. He culled the two pullets in case what they had was catching. Could this be a malnutrion thing? All he feeds them is chop. I don't know if he supplements their feed with extra goodies or not. Needless to say after finding out all he was feeding them was chop I refused to give/hatch out any more for him. I have metioned the malnutrion angle to him but he refuses to think that is the case. He's an old timer and that is how they used to feed them back then he tells me. I may be new at this chicken thing but I know they used to let them free range too. So, they ended up getting the protien they needed from the bugs they caught. Any help would be appreciated. I feel guilty for even hatching them out for him. Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Don't feel guilty- there was no way for you to know. I agree with you- the "old timer" feeding schedule only works when you know they have access to the makings for a complete diet on their own. That means they're out picking and scratching in everything (or nearly everything) the farm has to offer. If they are caged, it is on the human to provide. The curling toes *does* sound like a nutritional thing. Any chance he'd take some of the homemade flock booster recipes from you?

3. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have asked him if he would consider adding greens and maybe some meal worms. And he just kind of goes yeah I guess. I told him I thought she needed some vitamins maybe rooster booster or something like that. He seemed to listen. Cross my fingers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by