My new 3 day old chick has a strange umbilical cord thing!

ChicknChickn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Syracuse, UT
I had a chick that was born three days ago (December 2, 2013). He had a black stringy thing hanging where his umbilical cord should be. My Grandpa pulled it off, but now there is this black thing in the area. I'm worried. Is this bad? Will it fall off? Sorry I'm asking lots of questions. This is my first chick that I've hatched. EVER! I only had this guy and another egg hatch. Please help. Here is a picture. Sorry you can't see it well.

Also, he took a while for his feathers to fluff up. Does this relate?

He isn't really eating or drinking either and is really weak. The other guy was pecking him a lot so I moved him to his own box. Will he get lonely. Is this why he wont eat or drink?

Just for next time, you should /never/ pull something like that off, and it looks like just a big blood scab, shouldnt be too serious unless it ripped something internally or it gets infected or something.

The black stringy thing was indeed an umbilical cord, and if he is being lethargic and weak, i suggest supplementing the water given to the chicks with a drop of poly vi sol WITHOUT iron. I also suggest putting them back together unless the other chick is actively hurting the weak one, or trampling him. Companionship in chickens is huge.

Best of luck and good job on the first hatch!

He isn't doing that great. This is my first time hatching chicks so I don't have an of the poly vi sol without iron. Do you know where I can get some? This morning I tried to get him to drink a little. I fed it to him in a syringe. he seemed to want it, just it didn't look like he could drink it. When I finished feeding him, he looking like he was gagging or something. He kept opening and closing him mouth and falling on the ground. Is he dying. Just a few minutes ago, he rolled over on his back. He is huddling in the corner right now. The whole thing is really bothering me.

He may die because some chicks are weak, but in the future, just dip his beak into the water and let him raise his head up to swallow. He may have choked when you fed him the water. Also when a chick has a bit of umbilical cord left it will usually dry in a day or two and fall off on it's own--don't ever remove it. Try to get some Save-A-Chick or other brand of poultry vitamins/electrolytes to have on hand--you just put them in the water.

Chances are hes going to pass away, if he hasnt already, and im sorry about that, but not all chicks live. Thats just the sad truth. You can buy poly vi sol without iron at wal mart or any similar store in the pharmacy section, and im sorry for your ordeal. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me, ive been hatching and raising chickens for the better part of two years.

Just love him and pet him and let him pass in peace, its the only thing you can really do at this point. I give you my warmest regards sweetheart, im sorry this had to happen.

Thanks. He's hasn't been improving. That is probably all I can do.

He lays like this all the time. I'm just afraid one time he won't wake up. :(

Back
Top Bottom