my new and 1st sex link chicks:)

I gotta chime in here as well. I have 8 RSL that I started out with last year. They gave me an egg per hen per day ever since they started laying. Even through the winter. They have the BEST personalities, none of mine are 'flighty', they are all luvbuttons and I wouldnt change them for anything. (well, my 2 white Cochins are pretty cool though...) They are hardy in the weather, pretty (see my page).

I am just adding the 'heritage breeds' and pure lines to my flock. I still like my RSL the best for companionship and chicken TV

58585_newchicks62011_303.jpg

58585_dylans_graduation_013.jpg

My crew....

wow fishnet that is awesome and beautiful pics:) I'm finding out just how cool RSL are this morning I went out to the coop @ 6am to feed ,water etc. I like to sit with them for awhile and talk to them, I know sounds crazy but I enjoy it. well anyway they are now letting me pick them up:)
as well as eating from my hand, and letting me pet them. I love that they know my voice I started saying here chickie chickie well before I get to the coop and their out and waiting for me. how cool is that? none are flighty at all lol I'm finding myself catching bugs,picking blackberries just so I can take them to the chicks they are really getting spoiled though even getting fresh vegis from the garden daily I'm not sure if I should be giving young chicks all these goodies or not but I almost cant help it. they are having their new coop condo delivered tomorrow so this weekend after the fencing and the sand/dirt box is in I will be moving them over I think they will love all the space. I can't believe I'm saying this but I love my chickens.
love.gif

All I did was state a preference for the heritage breeds and why I myself find them prefereable to the hybrids.
roll.png

Last edited:
I LOVE your chicks! They are AMAZING!
They are in the funky stage .... between fuzzy chick and slick hen.
But I LOVE teenager chickens.
So much fun watching their personalities develop.

clap.gif

Quote:
thanks they are pretty funny they keep kicking thier food bowl over and flinging feed everywhere is that normal? boy can they eat!

Quote:
Ooops. Sorry. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
hide.gif

I, too, keep a heritage breed - Barred Rocks - right alongside my Black Star ladies. Since we are very limited in the number of birds we may keep, and don't like to spend excess money during a recession/depression, we keep both.

Nadja

hugs.gif

Quote:
Ooops. Sorry. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
hide.gif

I, too, keep a heritage breed - Barred Rocks - right alongside my Black Star ladies. Since we are very limited in the number of birds we may keep, and don't like to spend excess money during a recession/depression, we keep both.

Nadja

hugs.gif

No problem. I actually have a variety of birds - my brahma girls
love.gif
- turkens, turken crosses including a brahma/turken, easter eggers, salmon favorelles, silkies, polish, speckled sussex, the black sex links, and one chick just recently identified as a australorp.

I had to put my big dark brahma rooster down recently. I miss him still.

Quote:
thanks they are pretty funny they keep kicking thier food bowl over and flinging feed everywhere is that normal? boy can they eat!

Any way to hang their feeder? You want the feeder and the waterer level with the back of the smallest chicken. It keeps them cleaner and eliminates much of the waste.

Last edited:
They are adorable! Breed choice is so subjective. I went to a breeder and she chose my first three based on her preferences mixed with my own. I ended up with a Delaware, a Barred Rock and a Jersey Giant. Then I went to our local feed store (now I know better than to go to a feed store when they have chicks) and came out with a Buff Orpington, an Australorp and a Rhode Island Red. So far I love them all and I love having all different chickens. I guess I was afraid I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I'm fairly new at this too, just five months.

Back
Top Bottom