My new butchering trick/technique (contains photos)

I tried this recently with a necropsy.....was difficult and only partially successful.....but it did work.

You're right they don't cut thru skin worth a hill of beans after you've cut thru a few joints or bones. Probably should have used knife thru skin and meat first.
I will try it again when I butcher hens this fall.
Mine are very similar to yours and I cracked the loop handle pushing on counter for leverage while parting out a turkey.
Wish there was an easy way to sharpen them well before every use.
Have you found the OXO holds a good edge @HummingbirdHill ?

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a pair of tree pruning shears I bought just for chicken, so hopefully they'll work well.
Bypass type pruners should work well, except for the lack of a bone notch.....but may not be as easy to thoroughly clean as poultry shears.

I haven't used them or pulled them out in awhile, but I remember looking at all the types and deciding on one that looked easy to clean. Originally I just wanted them to spatchcock a chicken to cook. I wish I could afford a very nice set of kitchen and filet knives though.

I did this today and it works great! I have chefs choice professional shears and have done maybe 200 chickens with them. Only difference is i cut the backbone out and then clean them out.

I did this today and it works great! I have chefs choice professional shears and have done maybe 200 chickens with them. Only difference is i cut the backbone out and then clean them out.
I may try that, also. Heaven knows I've got enough cockerels this year to experiment with
tongue.png

Back in my younger days when I kept a bird dog and there were quail to hunt, I dressed bobwhite quail this way, except we would rip the feathers and skin off completely.

But you would run your poultry shears up each side of the backbone, stem to stern. Grab the neck and pull everything out in one piece. Unless I wanted to keep the bird fully intact as a roaster, that is how I would dress a bird today.

Great idea! We have started halving our smaller birds and grilling them. I never thought about it being easier for evisceration. You know how it is, stick with the tried and true. I think I'll try this next spring.

Back
Top Bottom