My New Chicken Run Composter

Red-Stars-in-RI

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Rhode Island
Finally got a chance this week to build my new chicken run compost setup.

It's 14 feet long by 7 feet wide by about 45 inches tall. Should hold about 13.6 cubic yards of material when full.

It's made from almost entirely reclaimed materials - lumber, pallets, fence posts, even the rope holding it together are all reclaimed. Only purchases of new materials were two boxes of screws and 8 zip ties.

Hopefully this will hold the compost mostly together while the chickens scratch and turn it. The composter already has two wheel barrow loads of food waste in it and a few of what will likely eventually be hundreds of barrels of leaves by the end of "leaf season".

10-28-composter_4.jpg

More pics and info on my blog.

Finally got a chance this week to build my new chicken run compost setup.

It's 14 feet long by 7 feet wide by about 45 inches tall. Should hold about 13.6 cubic yards of material when full.

It's made from almost entirely reclaimed materials - lumber, pallets, fence posts, even the rope holding it together are all reclaimed. Only purchases of new materials were two boxes of screws and 8 zip ties.

Hopefully this will hold the compost mostly together while the chickens scratch and turn it. The composter already has two wheel barrow loads of food waste in it and a few of what will likely eventually be hundreds of barrels of leaves by the end of "leaf season".

View attachment 2390949

More pics and info on my blog.
Awesome, I'm sure your chickens love it. 🐣🐥🐓🐣🐥🐓

Wow! That's a big, impressive pile! Keep this picture handy and compare it to what that looks like after a winter of snow and rain pack them down. :)

Wow! That's a big, impressive pile! Keep this picture handy and compare it to what that looks like after a winter of snow and rain pack them down. :)

It’s supposed to rain tomorrow..,I’m sure the pile will squish down a bit by this time tomorrow. :D

Thankfully, I stockpiled a bunch more leaves in another part of my run to give the chickens something to scratch in, cover a bit of bare ground, and serve as reserve carbon for the compost pile.

Back
Top Bottom