My new chickens are getting the tar pecked out of them!!

kbaij

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I have 16 3 1/2 month old pullets, 5 RIR's, 5 Barred Rock, and 6 black star. Everything was going great until I got 6 new pullets, 5 are mixed breeds, and three of them are almost as big as mine, two are quite a lot smaller than mine and still peep instead of cluck, one is a very timid buff orpington. My chickens will not even let them out of the coop. They have been here for almost a week. If one of them even peeks out of the coop two or three of my original girls make a bee line for them, just to peck and harass them. They will even go into the coop now and then just to corner them and peck. I don't see any injuries yet, but I'm worried, poor new girls......any suggestions?

When I added younger chicks into the older chickens I first kept them separated in the coop and run they grew accustomed to each other and I had a very easy blending of them all. Maybe you should try to put a fence up in the coop until they become accustomed to each other.They could see each othr through the fencing but could not attack each othr. Even now my cochins will try to get into the coop with the orpingtons she grew up with She sits and purrs at some of them.

Its the mean chicken world, Mine do this also.... I just put 10ish 12 week old babies in with my hens and rooster, they dont peck them all that much but run them back into the coop, I tell the older girls its not very nice and they didnt like it when it was done to them but they dont listen. It takes a good 2-3 weeks for them all to get ajusted and the hens to let them out of the coop, they will still peck a little to make there pecking order !!!! Just keep and eye out for any injurys and make sure if you see blood you remove the chick, But they should be fine.... Like my hubby tells my just let nature take its course !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom