My new Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sadieH5836, Dec 31, 2007.

1. sadieH5836

sadieH5836 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Egg Harbor
    I'm very new to raising chickens, so new that I brought home my first 2 chickens yesterday. I just hope I'm doing this right!
    Is it normal for them to huddle together in the nesting box area and not come out side when they first come home?
    Any other tips for a newbie?

By the way Cluck and Audrey are RIR's about 18 weeks old

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Sadie-
    Chickens don't like change and they are probably huddling because they are a little leery of their new home. Give them a week or so and they will start to get used to the new surroundings. Also, at 18 weeks old, they are still "baby-ish" and babies like to huddle.
    There is a lot of great information on this site... Just use the "search" function and you'll see that a million people have had the same questions as you! [​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Chickens are like cats. They will hide otr stay in a spot for a little while. Then they eventually come out. Once they have tie to adjust they will come out to greet you. It took a week for my moms BR's to find out how to get in a coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by