My new coop and run

Because I'm spreading backyard chickens!!!

This fellow used to have chickens as a kid in Puerto Rico. He has been my patient for almost 20 years. His grand daughter (also a patient since she was a kid) and her husband just bought a "farm" out in Avondale and it has a decent coop of sorts but needs to be upgraded. He's told his granddaughter that he will bring her some hens and a roo. This mutt EE roo is doing the deed on the younger hens but he isn't crowing! (Hatched Sept. 11th.)

We just got the Blue Americana pair from Pips and Peeps and so he will eventually become "Our roo".

After checking hindends tonight in the coop he is getting the following.

3 Barred rocks. I'm certain that one is laying but she is MEAN. I'm not certain the other two are laying.
1 Easter egger hen that lays a cream colored egg about once a week. (not the best of layers)
1 RIR.. who lays an egg with spots and a grainy shell. She is also mean.
and DS #4 hated me, but Neckie (a partridge rock) still hasn't recovered fully from being broody and I can tell she isn't laying at all.... she finally starting to get a little color back in her comb so maybe she'll start laying for them and perhaps go broody with the mutt EE roo.
And then finally the mutt EE roo.

So they are getting 7 decent looking chickens that I think have potential but I'm basically culling my flock.

The 80 year old wife says that before the year is up she is cooking the roo... then she explained to me in Spanish, how she dispatches roosters. It was pretty comical the way she explained it... she has this technique where she puts her thumb up under his head on the back and pushes and then pulls both feet. She then says she hangs him head down for a minute and then lets the blood drain. It was grossing my assistant out.

So this is a way for them to get back into chickens and to introduce their great grandchildren to them.

He used to own a mechanic shop and redid one of the transmissions on an old Nissan Stanza that we had. They are great people and I've told the grand daughter to go onto BYC to find coops to look at to improve what they have.

They are so happy that I am simply giving them these 7 birds.

I think that there are folks here on BYC who have been very nice to me, so I'm returning the favor.

Plus, we wanted to add some exotic breeds and I'm hoping that the three Cuckoo Marans that are in the bator and developing are all pullets!

More of an explanation than you were looking for I'm certain.

Last edited:
Wow, you have a very nice coop! It also looks like you can get quite a bit of shade from those tall trees in the hot summer months. Did you use shingles for the roof?

Shingles? Yes. And the coop is almost always in the shade. Makes it nice for the girls when it's so hot.

I have their windows closed at present and a heat lamp on during the day so they have a warm place. They seem to sleep OK now even with the temps dipping down to 38 like it will be tomorrow morning.

Your shade trees are great for the hens, Mahonri.
My coop/run is situated so they get winter sun, but not so much sun during the summer. Not that the hens are in the run much anyway.
roll.png
I let them out every day to see what trouble they can stir up, and give them an opportunity to fertilize the bricks by our back sliding window.
big_smile.png
I think it's wonderful that you're passing along these birds. I'm sure this couple will be delighted... and the granddaughter seems interested, also.
So you speak Spanish fluently? Was this from a Spanish mission? Three of my boys went to Central America, and there were chickens everywhere! And dogs, of course.
smile.png
They were skeptical when I announced I was putting up a coop, but now all the kids think it's pretty cool.
Another one of Mom's crazy ideas....

Carla

Thanks Carla,

My hens spend lots of time in the run in the winter and LOTS of time in the coop in the summer.

I was in Ecuador for 2 years. 77-79. Went back in 99 for the Temple Dedication. What great memories.

I used to let 4 or 5 hens out every day to forage in the back yard. Then two weeks ago I planted my garden and when I noticed the Buff Orp going down on my cabbage and broccoli plants, that was the end of that. I still let my two blue ameraucanas out as they just eat grass and grower feed and sun themselves.

Back
Top Bottom