My new coop - from a mower shed

Karen Glatz

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2017
I now have 5 more 10 week pullets and ran out of room in my last Rubbermaid mower shed (nine hens) and - Since the last mower shed worked out so well, I built another - and this one is even better than the first. Love it.

I started out with a $300 KETER Patio Store 4.6 x 2.5 Foot Resin Outdoor Storage Shed with Paintable and Drillable Walls. I added a $9 cat door for a window, 6 2" Round White Polypropylene Plastic Louver with Insect Screen System vents, $10 and a solar, automatic pop door $60 - all from Amazon. Plus a $3 kiln dried stud for the roost bar.

I love that the shed is somewhat insolated, looks like wood, is paintable, drillable and takes screws. It took me about 2.5 hours to put it up (I'm a 75 year old female and I did it alone, using a dead blow hammer to tap things in place and a cinder block to hold the roof down while I screwed in in place). It took another couple of hours to cut holes for the ventilation, the window (cat door) and the pop door.

Half a day and $380 and I have a coop that will hold 5 to 10 chickens. And the very best part is that the two big doors (opposite the pop door) open wide so that I can easily clean the dirty shavings, and even hose it down to get rid of any critters or feather dust if needs be. It's only about 50" high, but it really doesn't need to be higher since I don't have to walk in.

This is for sleeping only - no food, water or nest boxes. They have a 4000 sq ft chicken yard and a covered hoop house with food, water and nest boxes.

I sprinkled the used litter from their tiny dog house sized brooder coop on top of the new litter and tonight I'll wait til after dark and move them from the little coop to the new one. Tomorrow I'll take down the brooder coop.

20230601_092226.jpg
20230601_092102.jpg

Last edited:
I now have 5 more 10 week pullets and ran out of room in my last Rubbermaid mower shed (nine hens) and - Since the last mower shed worked out so well, I built another - and this one is even better than the first. Love it.

I started out with a $300 KETER Patio Store 4.6 x 2.5 Foot Resin Outdoor Storage Shed with Paintable and Drillable Walls. I added a $9 cat door for a window, 6 2" Round White Polypropylene Plastic Louver with Insect Screen System vents, $10 and a solar, automatic pop door $60 - all from Amazon. Plus a $3 kiln dried stud for the roost bar.

I love that the shed is somewhat insolated, looks like wood, is paintable, drillable and takes screws. It took me about 2.5 hours to put it up (I'm a 75 year old female and I did it alone, using a dead blow hammer to tap things in place and a cinder block to hold the roof down while I screwed in in place). It took another couple of hours to cut holes for the ventilation, the window (cat door) and the pop door.

Half a day and $380 and I have a coop that will hold 5 to 10 chickens. And the very best part is that the two big doors (opposite the pop door) open wide so that I can easily clean the dirty shavings, and even hose it down to get rid of any critters or feather dust if needs be. It's only about 50" high, but it really doesn't need to be higher since I don't have to walk in.

This is for sleeping only - no food, water or nest boxes. They have a 4000 sq ft chicken yard and a covered hoop house with food, water and nest boxes.

I sprinkled the used litter from their tiny dog house sized brooder coop on top of the new litter and tonight I'll wait til after dark and move them from the little coop to the new one. Tomorrow I'll take down the brooder coop.

View attachment 3525624View attachment 3525640
Solar exhaust fan for ventilation. Looks like you have good sunlight there. Same as an attic fan

It would be easy and cheap to drill in another 6 vents. And I can always open the big doors for instant ventilation all day . We have cool nights in the summer here in Oregon- even if the days get to 100 degrees the nights are in the 60s so heat build up and humidity usually aren't a problem.

Also, Keter has another similar shed for a little more money (It wasn't on Amazon when I bought this one). It has two big side vents and a roof that opens up. It's for storing trash barrels (it even has a couple of hook and ropes to lift the lids of your trash barrels when you open the shed roof, LOL). I would have bought that one instead if it was available. Add an automatic pop door and done. Well, maybe cat door window too.

It would be easy and cheap to drill in another 6 vents. And I can always open the big doors for instant ventilation all day . We have cool nights in the summer here in Oregon- even if the days get to 100 degrees the nights are in the 60s so heat build up and humidity usually aren't a problem.

Also, Keter has another similar shed for a little more money (It wasn't on Amazon when I bought this one). It has two big side vents and a roof that opens up. It's for storing trash barrels (it even has a couple of hook and ropes to lift the lids of your trash barrels when you open the shed roof, LOL). I would have bought that one instead if it was available. Add an automatic pop door and done. Well, maybe cat door window too.
ooooh, which one is that? Can you post a link or picture?

Last edited:
Two days ago, the new coop was move in ready (with more ventilation added). At 9:15 pm I went out to move the chicks from their brooder coop to the new coop. Which went fine. They are used to being moved from small brooders to bigger and bigger brooders, then to the small coop so they let me pick them up and move them.

The next night went out at the same time and the chicks were in the old coop again. Moved them again.

TONIGHT I went out, and no chicks in the old coop. I tiptoed around and cracked one of the big doors. And there were 4 chicks spread out on the roost just like big hens. Yay. I was SO proud. They had never used a roost before but they figured it out by themselves..

Looked for the 5th chick (afraid she might have been locked out when the door went down) But no, she was snuggled down in the shavings like she had been every night since she was 2 days old. I'm betting she'll be up on the roost very soon.

Success, with the automatic door, means no locking them in at 10 pm and getting up 5 am to let them out. I'll check again for the next few nights just to make sure they're making it in before the door shuts, but looks like it went better than I even expected.

Back
Top Bottom