My new coop is almost done! Pictures inside!

Shikens!

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I am a total newb to chickens! I'm getting 12 BLRW chicks sometime between June 7th and June 14th! I had to buy a minimum number of straight run chicks in order to get 3 hens. So this coop is for 3 hens.

My fiance has been building me this new coop for about 2 weeks now. The hen house is 3'x4'x4' and the run is 8'x8'x6'.

Here are a few build pics. (feel free to click through the build album to see more)

Early stages-
101_3214-1.jpg

101_3227.jpg

Getting there-
101_3229.jpg

The inside-
101_3228.jpg

Starting to paint it-
101_3240.jpg

The paint job I did yesterday-

Front-
101_3248.jpg

Back/side-
101_3250.jpg

Back/other side-
101_3251.jpg

Today I'm going to finish painting the run, the inside of the hen house, and odds and ends. My fiance added a tin roof on the nest box lid last night that I forgot to take a picture of.

We are getting our hardware cloth in the mail today! So this whole project should be done this weekend. I'm so excited!!!

I'll post new pics as I go!

Thanks for looking!

Great job! I love the paint job!

Two small suggestions. First, make your top roost the whole way across. Otherwise you will probably have hens sleeping in the nest boxes. Second, add a lip on the front of the nest boxes so the eggs don't roll out.

I really love your painting, looks like expensive wall paper!

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
big_smile.png

As for the roosts, those are just little 1x1s. I'm raising my chicks in the hen house so I wanted a little "learning" roost for them. Once I pick my 3 hens and rehome the rest I'll be pulling that whole roost out and running a removable 2x4 the length of the coop. I'm also going to wire over the next boxes until they are ready to lay.

Good call on the board to keep the eggs from falling!

Camo coop is right! It's a birdy bunker! LOL!

I just walked outside and snapped a pic of what it looks like right now. I love the tin roof on the nest box its SO CUTE I can't stand it! I do need help thinking of a way to make that tin edge safe so I don't slice my wrist open though!

101_3252.jpg

Very nice! Love it. But after all that work, can you really keep your number of chickens to the original plan?! I would outgrow that soooo fast. I can see the add-ons now!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom